Author Topic: The Kingdom of Nyet with Heather Wade  (Read 12252299 times)

anniem

• Ellevated
Re: The Kingdom of Drama without Heather Wade
« Reply #95190 on: April 20, 2019, 08:11:55 PM »
I don't do wine, but for colds, I'm all about chicken broth, a warm blanket, and a line-up of dumb movies to watch.

Hope you feel better soon!

Thank you.
I tea'd earlier. I like tea.

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #95191 on: April 20, 2019, 08:15:35 PM »
For many people, wine is always good! Go for it! +1 and sorry to hear you're under the weather!

*achoo*
*SNOOOONK*

Hee hee hee

Aquarius

• Ellevated
  • Why? Why not?
« Reply #95192 on: April 20, 2019, 08:16:04 PM »
Thank you.
I tea'd earlier. I like tea.

In my world, tea is ALWAYS good, year round, hot or cold. God's brew! ... among others, of course...  ;)
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." -- Chinese proverb

Mr Apnea

• Ellevated
« Reply #95193 on: April 20, 2019, 08:30:07 PM »
Quick poll: is wine good for colds?

Makes me dehydrated when I've had a cold.  But I feel much better when it's added to a Mongolian barbecue.

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #95194 on: April 20, 2019, 08:34:08 PM »
Makes me dehydrated when I've had a cold.  But I feel much better when it's added to a Mongolian barbecue.

That sounds good.

yoursongs

• Drone Pilot
  • Coined "WhiskeySourVara" Some Kind of Druid Dude
    • Your Songs Collectibles
« Reply #95195 on: April 20, 2019, 08:56:51 PM »
What's wrong with this picture?

PolkaDot

• Sass Machine
  • Ellevated
  • Please forgive me, I was raised by wolves.
« Reply #95196 on: April 20, 2019, 08:57:30 PM »
Quick poll: is wine good for colds?
Wine is good for all ills
There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
Right in the middle of her forehead.
            When she was good,
            She was very good indeed,
But when she was bad she was horrid.

PolkaDot

• Sass Machine
  • Ellevated
« Reply #95197 on: April 20, 2019, 08:59:54 PM »
*achoo*
*SNOOOONK*

Hee hee hee
Sending hugs and a bottle of wine from a safe distance.
There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
            When she was good,

Journey

• Ellevated
« Reply #95198 on: April 20, 2019, 09:04:52 PM »
Before she was just annoying, it was at this point where she lost her sense of humanity and I was on her tail.
Good observation, I agree things seemed to turn against her after this remark. It went to her character and she went from redicolous to someone we didn’t like.

Aquarius

• Ellevated
  • Why? Why not?
« Reply #95199 on: April 20, 2019, 09:08:37 PM »
I hope you all will be wiling to indulge me a bit with a serious post here. It qualifies as drama without HW, and frankly I wasn't sure where else to put it, so here it is. I find myself in a deeply reflective place this weekend and especially today. It is long, so if you're not interested, of course please do feel free to pass it by.

What with Easter and Passover this weekend, and several other very significant events that happened on April 19 and 20 in the past (aside from the 420 movement/meme), I am very aware of the themes of life, death, and rebirth.

A few of these are the Waco massacre and the Oklahoma City bombings on the 19th (different years), and the deepwater horizon rig explosion, Hitler's birthday, and the school massacre at Columbine all on the 20th (different years).

It is this last one that is most on my mind today, the 20th anniversary of the horrible mass shootings at Columbine High School in Littleton, CO. As it happens, exactly 20 years ago today, the host of a live nationwide TV show that I was a regular guest expert on called me on the phone and kept talking to me about what was appropriate to say while the Columbine events were happening live. I was not on the air, but I was in the background with the host and staff for much of the afternoon.

The next day, the day after Columbine I had been scheduled to do a live appearance with them discussing some personality/behavioral-related things in controversial trial going on at the time (I did this about every three weeks or so), and they asked me to come in early as they knew they'd also be talking about Columbine if there were any live press conferences during our time slot.

I did and there were. What I recall vividly from that day was the Sheriff  (I think, maybe a higher official) holding a press conference which we cut to live... and he was answering questions about why the school safety officer did not enter the school to go after the shooters right when the first shots were fired. There had been a few school shootings prior to this but nothing on the scale of Columbine to that point. They called for a SWAT team, which took 45 minutes to get there iirc, and in the meantime many kids and some adults were being killed and wounded, with the two shooters having free reign all over the school, using bombs, flammable liquids, hand guns, and long guns. In fact they didn't actually enter the school till about three hours later, after the shooting had stopped for quite a while, again iirc. There were a lot of intense arguments on all sides about whether this was the best way to deal with the situation or not (creepy shades of Stoneman High in Parkland last year?).

The sheriff was saying that it was their standard protocol for school shootings, this was they way they normally would handle such a situation. My comment live on the air following the press conference was that I found it shocking and deeply upsetting that he was able to use the words "standard protocol" and "normal procedure" for such a horrifying event... that in fact this kind of mass killing was happening more and more that those words could even be put together in the same sentence. The host, whose show it was, agreed with me, and we had a short but profound discussion about how our society was changing, and not for the better, and that we really needed to do some deep introspection about how and why this was occurring.

I hadn't planned to say that, it was a spontaneous and heartfelt reaction to what I heard live as I was sitting there in the studio with the host talking live on the air again (this was a national show, btw). To my great surprise later that day, the network got more emails, faxes and phone calls (this was 1999, remember, email was not as upbiquitous as it is today) than they had gotten in any recent show because of that comment. A very few said I was naive, or responded negatively (of course, someone always will!), but the pile of responses were overwhelmingly positive and added comments of their own, indicating that I had touched a real nerve in the audience's hearts.

This clear memory popped up for me several times today as I went about my errands, etc. It was a beautiful day today where I live now and the contrast to my memories of 20 years ago felt very stark and very sad. I don't even have words to express how sad and distressed I feel that there have been so many more mass shootings since then, at schools and other public gatherings.

My prayers for this weekend, as so many people observe their various religious practices around the world (and including those who don't) is that somehow, some way, we find a way as human beings to begin to talk to each other again, heart to heart, and to find some way to begin to work together again to make this world a better place for everyone. If we don't remember we are all one species and have to get it together to stop destroying each other and the earth, there'll be nothing left for our children and our children's children, never mind for our own short-term futures.

In that spirit, I send you all my heartfelt wishes for a blessed and peaceful holiday weekend, regardless of how you are spending your time. May we all be uplifted somehow... and soon.

Thanks for reading and indulging me if you hung in there to get here.  ;)
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." -- Chinese proverb

Ghost BEP

• Ghosted
  • Ellightened
  • It’s my Woo Show and Jim can cry if he wants to.
« Reply #95200 on: April 20, 2019, 09:09:52 PM »
Good observation, I agree things seemed to turn against her after this remark. It went to her character and she went from redicolous to someone we didn’t like.

Who’s we, frog in your pocket? I can’t recall ever particularly liking the legacy squatter myself.
Be wary of phony kleptos with bovine spongiform encephalopathy.

Journey

• Ellevated
« Reply #95201 on: April 20, 2019, 09:12:19 PM »
                     Red Heat Update

Good news thread.  Good news. Mrs. Walks and I will be off on a little trip starting Wednesday next week.  Had some miles that were going to expire at the end of the month so I am glad I got the time off approved by the White Shoe Boys.  We'll be going to a place that I visited once on business back eons ago when Mrs. Walks and I were still just dating.  I've always meant to get back as it was my kind of area.  Hopefully Mrs. Walks will like it - we shall see.

Hillbilly Jim will be gone during the same time period.   Yep.  That's right.  Even though we are under the gun to meet a crazy schedule, he got his annual  Merlefest trek approved.   I guess his point was that it was some sort of quasi-hajj for mountain folk and that it held a deeply spiritual meaning to them.
Of course the way he describes it - it is an opportunity to swap moonshine formulas and to try and screw anything that moves. Either way - good for him. 

Poor Prakash, he is a hot mess. It would seem that the demon bride wants to petition to get her folks over here and live with them. 
He spent the whole morning just staring at the floor of his cube, mumbling to himself in a language that I can't understand.  There
will not be a happy end to this part of the saga, I'll tell you that for nothing.

There was a lot of rain and tornado warnings here today so the Russian worked from home.   Guess she didn't want to get her hair all mussed up.

Thanks for another fun update. I hope you enjoy your time away with Mrs. Walks.

Aquarius

• Ellevated
  • Why? Why not?
« Reply #95202 on: April 20, 2019, 09:13:20 PM »
I hope you all will be wiling to indulge me a bit with a serious post here. It qualifies as drama without HW, and frankly I wasn't sure where else to put it, so here it is. I find myself in a deeply reflective place this weekend and especially today. It is long, so if you're not interested, of course please do feel free to pass it by.

<snip>

Wow, after writing all that I had to recover, so I am now indulging in an insanely delicious slice of "white cake" with buttercream from the most fabulous decadent bakery around here... no chemicals, and beyond delicious... and it's all of yours' fault!  8)

Journey

• Ellevated
« Reply #95203 on: April 20, 2019, 09:14:53 PM »
Your series is gold. Poor Prakash.
Indeed, I can picture him so clearly. The guy needs to run before the in-laws arrive.

PolkaDot

• Sass Machine
  • Ellevated
« Reply #95204 on: April 20, 2019, 09:15:13 PM »

What with Easter and Passover this weekend, and several other very significant events that happened on April 19 and 20 in the past (aside from the 420 movement/meme), I am very aware of the themes of life, death, and rebirth.

A few of these are the Waco massacre and the Oklahoma City bombings on the 19th (different years), and the deepwater horizon rig explosion, Hitler's birthday, and the school massacre at Columbine all on the 20th (different years).

It is this last one that is most on my mind today, the 20th anniversary of the horrible mass shootings at Columbine High School in Littleton, CO. As it happens, exactly 20 years ago today, the host of a live nationwide TV show that I was a regular guest expert on called me on the phone and kept talking to me about what was appropriate to say while the Columbine events were happening live. I was not on the air, but I was in the background with the host and staff for much of the afternoon.

The next day, the day after Columbine I had been scheduled to do a live appearance with them discussing some personality/behavioral-related things in controversial trial going on at the time (I did this about every three weeks or so), and they asked me to come in early as they knew they'd also be talking about Columbine if there were any live press conferences during our time slot.

I did and there were. What I recall vividly from that day was the Sheriff  (I think, maybe a higher official) holding a press conference which we cut to live... and he was answering questions about why the school safety officer did not enter the school to go after the shooters right when the first shots were fired. There had been a few school shootings prior to this but nothing on the scale of Columbine to that point. They called for a SWAT team, which took 45 minutes to get there iirc, and in the meantime many kids and some adults were being killed and wounded, with the two shooters having free reign all over the school, using bombs, flammable liquids, hand guns, and long guns. In fact they didn't actually enter the school till about three hours later, after the shooting had stopped for quite a while, again iirc. There were a lot of intense arguments on all sides about whether this was the best way to deal with the situation or not (creepy shades of Stoneman High in Parkland last year?).

The sheriff was saying that it was their standard protocol for school shootings, this was they way they normally would handle such a situation. My comment live on the air following the press conference was that I found it shocking and deeply upsetting that he was able to use the words "standard protocol" and "normal procedure" for such a horrifying event... that in fact this kind of mass killing was happening more and more that those words could even be put together in the same sentence. The host, whose show it was, agreed with me, and we had a short but profound discussion about how our society was changing, and not for the better, and that we really needed to do some deep introspection about how and why this was occurring.

I hadn't planned to say that, it was a spontaneous and heartfelt reaction to what I heard live as I was sitting there in the studio with the host talking live on the air again (this was a national show, btw). To my great surprise later that day, the network got more emails, faxes and phone calls (this was 1999, remember, email was not as upbiquitous as it is today) than they had gotten in any recent show because of that comment. A very few said I was naive, or responded negatively (of course, someone always will!), but the pile of responses were overwhelmingly positive and added comments of their own, indicating that I had touched a real nerve in the audience's hearts.

This clear memory popped up for me several times today as I went about my errands, etc. It was a beautiful day today where I live now and the contrast to my memories of 20 years ago felt very stark and very sad. I don't even have words to express how sad and distressed I feel that there have been so many more mass shootings since then, at schools and other public gatherings.

My prayers for this weekend, as so many people observe their various religious practices around the world (and including those who don't) is that somehow, some way, we find a way as human beings to begin to talk to each other again, heart to heart, and to find some way to begin to work together again to make this world a better place for everyone. If we don't remember we are all one species and have to get it together to stop destroying each other and the earth, there'll be nothing left for our children and our children's children, never mind for our own short-term futures.

In that spirit, I send you all my heartfelt wishes for a blessed and peaceful holiday weekend, regardless of how you are spending your time. May we all be uplifted somehow... and soon.

Thanks for reading and indulging me if you hung in there to get here.  ;)

😌
There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
            When she was good,