Author Topic: When is it OK to set up the Christmas tree etc?  (Read 4309 times)

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
  • HEAPING CUP OF HOLY COW
    • Real Bad Radio
When is it OK to set up the Christmas tree etc?
« on: December 02, 2018, 09:23:59 PM »
Did it today (Sunday December 2nd) the tree, the ceramic candle lit village, lights outside and many, many other things and trinkets. Had the classic traditional music playing throughout the house and my dog even had her Santa collar on. I like to wait until the second or even third Sunday of December but my wife is ridiculous about getting overly festive very early, even late November if she could.

When is too early? And the kicker is that we do a little thing called Second Christmas! ::)! on the third Sunday of January where we completely do it all over again. Even the turkey dinner!!! Absolutely nuts.

PolkaDot

• Sass Machine
  • Ellevated
  • Please forgive me, I was raised by wolves.
Re: When is it OK to set up the Christmas tree etc?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 08:45:03 AM »
Did it today (Sunday December 2nd) the tree, the ceramic candle lit village, lights outside and many, many other things and trinkets. Had the classic traditional music playing throughout the house and my dog even had her Santa collar on. I like to wait until the second or even third Sunday of December but my wife is ridiculous about getting overly festive very early, even late November if she could.

When is too early? And the kicker is that we do a little thing called Second Christmas! ::)! on the third Sunday of January where we completely do it all over again. Even the turkey dinner!!! Absolutely nuts.

Second Christmas?
Is this because someone new comes to celebrate?
WHY!?!?!
There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
Right in the middle of her forehead.
            When she was good,
            She was very good indeed,
But when she was bad she was horrid.

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 08:49:16 AM »
Second Christmas?
Is this because someone new comes to celebrate?
WHY!?!?!
I wait until Thanksgiving to put up the lights etc. HD and etc had Christmas stuff for sale before Halloween! Crazy. There are 12 days of Christmas so nothing wrong with having other celebrations or large dinners. The day after is still celebrated in several countries- our cousins in the UK though aren't celebrating St.Stephen but use the opportunity to drink themselves into the ground.

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2018, 11:35:42 PM »

WHY!?!?!
@PolkaDot

Polka! I don't care for your tone, please stop yelling at me, it's Christmas.  We do it because it's nice, it's fun, and it's extremely festive and somewhat goofy, and why not? And yes sometimes we invite another couple or two and we play secret Santa, you know how that works. Last year instead of a turkey dinner we did a huge prime rib :) There's still snow on the ground and the only thing that says it's not Christmas day is the calendar so we agree to suspend disbelief and have a wonderful Christmas day. Again.

This scene from LOTR (Fellowship of the ring) gave me the idea.

DynamoHum

• Hall Of Famer
  • Ellevated
  • Don’t tell me if anyone dies, k?
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 07:07:54 AM »
Just got ours today and unpacked it etc.

Went for a 10 footer this year as high ceilings mean even biggish trees are dwarfed.

Here it is resting before being decorated (tomrrow’s Job)

[attachment[/attachment]
Give pees a chance.

Hi Metron <3

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2018, 07:19:19 AM »

Went for a 10 footer this year as high ceilings mean even biggish trees are dwarfed.

What a tall beauty of a TREE. I also have tall ceilings,well tall enough for us. The tall trees need at least a day or two to rest.  I went with a very small tree this year. A table top size. I am not sure if I am going to enjoy having a small Christmas tree.

DynamoHum

• Hall Of Famer
  • Ellevated
  • Don’t tell me if anyone dies, k?
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2018, 07:51:31 AM »
What a tall beauty of a TREE. I also have tall ceilings,well tall enough for us. The tall trees need at least a day or two to rest.  I went with a very small tree this year. A table top size. I am not sure if I am going to enjoy having a small Christmas tree.

It’s sat in a big load of sparkling mineral water/tap water mix and we’re letting it acclimatise til probably tomorrow afternoon.

This tree is from a local farm just up the road, as we are trying to support local businesses this year. We usually go the The Tree Barn which is in a place called Christmas Common (yes really!) where they have a huge operation growing loads of trees and an amazing Christmas shop, but it’s just a tad too far outside our “locally produced” radius rule this year. They usually do the tree for Downing Street and Harrods and places like that so their trees are very good. Our tree is nice, and the farm is pretty much just a small holding so I think buying from them is just a nicer thing to do.

I love tall ceilings, but last year we got an 8 footer and it just looked dwarfed.

@ksm32 to answer your q... I say fuck it, it’s up to you ... if it makes you happy do it :) So whenever YOU want is the right time!
Give pees a chance.

Hi Metron <3

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2018, 08:02:11 AM »

Charlie Brown would be proud.
Are we having fun yet?

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2018, 08:26:44 AM »
It’s sat in a big load of sparkling mineral water/tap water mix and we’re letting it acclimatise til probably tomorrow afternoon.

This tree is from a local farm just up the road, as we are trying to support local businesses this year. We usually go the The Tree Barn which is in a place called Christmas Common (yes really!) where they have a huge operation growing loads of trees and an amazing Christmas shop, but it’s just a tad too far outside our “locally produced” radius rule this year. They usually do the tree for Downing Street and Harrods and places like that so their trees are very good. Our tree is nice, and the farm is pretty much just a small holding so I think buying from them is just a nicer thing to do.

I love tall ceilings, but last year we got an 8 footer and it just looked dwarfed.

@ksm32 to answer your q... I say fuck it, it’s up to you ... if it makes you happy do it :) So whenever YOU want is the right time!
Thanks for the tips of where to buy a Christmas tree in the UK. http://www.thetreebarn.co.uk/. Fun aerial drone video to view.  So good of you to shop local. I also shop local with one exception. We no longer have toy shops. Toys shop have been replaced with dog day care centers, dog parks, dog supplies and dog doctors--due to gentrification. I will shop local for the adults. My brother has a fun shop and depends on people who shop local. I am sending you a PM about my brother's shop. I don't want to dox myself by posting here.

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2018, 08:27:45 AM »
Charlie Brown would be proud.

Excuse me...Charlie Brown would love my tree.

PolkaDot

• Sass Machine
  • Ellevated
  • Please forgive me, I was raised by wolves.
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2018, 10:28:00 AM »
@PolkaDot

Polka! I don't care for your tone, please stop yelling at me, it's Christmas.  We do it because it's nice, it's fun, and it's extremely festive and somewhat goofy, and why not? And yes sometimes we invite another couple or two and we play secret Santa, you know how that works. Last year instead of a turkey dinner we did a huge prime rib :) There's still snow on the ground and the only thing that says it's not Christmas day is the calendar so we agree to suspend disbelief and have a wonderful Christmas day. Again.

This scene from LOTR (Fellowship of the ring) gave me the idea.

My apologies, sometimes I get excited. Plus I think you're weird.  ;)
Christmas is so much work I would not do it twice. No way. Uh uh. NO.
There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
Right in the middle of her forehead.
            When she was good,
            She was very good indeed,
But when she was bad she was horrid.

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2018, 06:29:40 PM »

@DynamoHum  I agree. But it has to be December.. for me anyway.

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2018, 06:38:00 PM »
Plus I think you're weird.  ;)

Fleshnuts roasting on an open fire. Youza!!! Gadzooks!!! Ouchers!!!!  ;D

Up All Night

• Ellevated
  • N. Texas
    • Stroll Down Memory Lane
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2018, 08:01:34 AM »

Robert

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2018, 07:53:37 AM »
When is too early?
A real, cut tree?  About 2 weeks before you expect to throw it away.

An artificial tree, or a planted one?  Never!  Decorate it all year, altering the decor'ns according to the season & your mood.
And the kicker is that we do a little thing called Second Christmas! ::)! on the third Sunday of January where we completely do it all over again. Even the turkey dinner!!! Absolutely nuts.
We had 2 Thanksgivings this yr., a week apart.  American Thanksgiving came as early as it can on its current fixture, Nov. 22.  Bob & I went nearby to Ralph & Kathy's, because Bob wanted to see his ex, Jeannie, who was going there.  But Bob, Ralph, & I also wanted to see Greg, who isn't welcome according to Kathy.  So we decided in advance to have another Thanksgiving here w Greg & Ralph invited.  We'd have to pick up Greg in Penna., bring him here, then take him back, & Greg was really angling at staying over, which I wasn't keen on but Bob was.

We got a frozen turkey as a bonus from ShopRite.  My iinitial idea was to do the 2nd Thanksgiving the same weekend, but Bob & Greg each thought better to wait until Tue. at least because of Greg's circumstances.  After a few days of uncertainty, we decided on the following Thurs., Nov. 29, so I started defrosting the turkey Mon., Nov. 26.  But then due to Greg's circumstances we had to postpone again; we were having other company Sat., so considered Sun. or Mon.  Cooked the turkey on the 29th, then various accompaniments on the 30th.  By Dec. 1 it became clear, ain't happening.  Greg would still be tied up for days, didn't make sense to invite Ralph since we saw him frequently anyway.

So we started eating turkey Nov. 29.  Made more accompaniments.  Boiled the remainder for stock for soup Dec. 5.  Used half the stock for soup we had the last 2 days.  Today will make the rest of the stock into soup which we might finish consuming tonight or Dec. 9, so our 2nd Thanksgiving's finally going to end this weekend.

Actually we'd been trying to think of a good excuse to get together w Greg since late Aug. when Bob moved out from Jeannie's & into here, since we're a lot closer to Greg's than Jeannie is, & Bob misses Greg.  We'll think of something eventually.  Greg's a party animal, w the emphasis on animal.  Maybe we'll take him to the nudie bar nearby here.