Author Topic: Whatever: The Open Lines Thread  (Read 597584 times)

PolkaDot

• Sass Machine
  • Ellevated
  • Please forgive me, I was raised by wolves.
Re: Whatever: The Open Lines Thread
« Reply #1080 on: October 30, 2019, 03:57:37 PM »
Corn huskers lotion (per dear husband)
Corn buskers does an effective job (glycerin)!
There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
Right in the middle of her forehead.
            When she was good,
            She was very good indeed,
But when she was bad she was horrid.

TigerLily

• Evil Temptress
  • Ellevated
  • Founder Art's Tarts and Legacy Bart's Bitchen Babe
« Reply #1081 on: October 30, 2019, 03:59:17 PM »
I need advice. Season change has been really bad on my hands already... They're dried out to the point I found small tears when I sanitized my hands yesterday.... I've tried generic aloe lotion but my skin just sucked it up to no affect....  :'(

I'm exchange, I offer cats in hats.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Awwww ... Thanks,  @SpookPumpkin  🐱🐱🐱

I loove to give advice! But I'm terrible about taking it.  From your posts sounds like you are using an alcohol-based sanitizer. Not too many ingredients more drying than alcohol. During the day use moisturizing cream, not lotion. When I had a bad burn the doctor recommended Eucerin. Every time you wash your hands you need to re-apply. At night you can apply petroleum jelly and wear thin cotton gloves. After the worst dryness is under control,  99.9% pure aloe vera is good for ongoing healing and moisturizing but you need something stronger when it is at its worse
“I'll try a pagan friend, thought I, since Christian kindness has proved but hollow courtesy.” - Herman Melville

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #1082 on: October 30, 2019, 04:01:05 PM »
A lotion with glycerin works well. Also I find Shea butter works nicely, but the trick is to put it on at night with cotton gloves (or socks would work in a pinch). Stay away from mineral oil, the molecules are too big to effectively penetrate the skin. Jojoba Oil works nicely- again at night when you go to bed with cotton cover. If you don’t mind the pain you can go with some of the cracked or chapped hand cream geared at working men. It’ll hurt though and there’s better ways. Also, stay away from antibacterial soap- it will devastate your skin.

This works too. But it is messier than the excellent options I already provided.

Are we having fun yet?

PolkaDot

• Sass Machine
  • Ellevated
  • Please forgive me, I was raised by wolves.
« Reply #1083 on: October 30, 2019, 04:05:06 PM »
This works too. But it is messier than the excellent options I already provided.

With the bonus of smelling like baby butt.
There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
Right in the middle of her forehead.
            When she was good,
            She was very good indeed,
But when she was bad she was horrid.

TigerLily

• Evil Temptress
  • Ellevated
« Reply #1084 on: October 30, 2019, 04:14:40 PM »
Great photos, thank you!

You're welcome, luv. Glad you enjoyed them 🐱
“I'll try a pagan friend, thought I, since Christian kindness has proved but hollow courtesy.” - Herman Melville

TigerLily

• Evil Temptress
  • Ellevated
« Reply #1085 on: October 30, 2019, 04:15:53 PM »
Borax and green soap.

That's just mean 😾

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #1086 on: October 30, 2019, 04:21:05 PM »

TigerLily

• Evil Temptress
  • Ellevated
« Reply #1087 on: October 30, 2019, 04:22:22 PM »
Sad, but true. 

https://twitter.com/nasawatch/status/1189608117975293952

Isn't at least part of the problem that Congress doesn't allocate money? I'm glad private companies have gotten into the business. Look how much has been done already

TigerLily

• Evil Temptress
  • Ellevated
« Reply #1088 on: October 30, 2019, 04:25:49 PM »
With the bonus of smelling like baby butt.

Uh ... Before or after?

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
« Reply #1089 on: October 30, 2019, 04:31:18 PM »
Isn't at least part of the problem that Congress doesn't allocate money? I'm glad private companies have gotten into the business. Look how much has been already

Problem is the way the appropriation process works in the federal government. Funding can’t cross FY boundaries so the programs ebb and flow with each congressional election and the destination changes with each presidential election.

Note. This is not a political discussion. Not taking sides. Just stating facts.

Bush had a good plan with SLI. Obama cancelled it but then was forced to keep SLS and Orion by Congress. Building a rocket and a capsule with no destination.  It was going to go somewhere but not the moon because that was Bush’s plan.  Now Trump says go back to the moon.  And NASA answered a question yesterday saying they don’t know if they will bring back rocks from the moon because the Ofion capsule wasn’t designed with a dedicated storage space for sample returns.

If Trump gets reelected we might actually go back to the moon.  If he doesn’t the program will probably get canceled because it was Trump’s plan.  So then we might go to Mars. Or to an asteroid.  Or somewhere. But Congress will say they have to use SLS and Orion because too many congressional districts are involved in their development.

Multi year budgets/funding appropriation for nationwide strategic initiatives like this will be the only real solution but currently that is against the law. 
Are we having fun yet?

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #1090 on: October 30, 2019, 04:31:49 PM »
I need advice. Season change has been really bad on my hands already... They're dried out to the point I found small tears when I sanitized my hands yesterday.... I've tried generic aloe lotion but my skin just sucked it up to no affect....  :'(

I'm exchange, I offer cats in hats.

I use this O'Keefe's Working Hands stuff.  Not as good as it used to be but it works.  I get it down at Tractor Supply but that is probably no place for a Spook Pumpkin.  I'd imagine CVS or Wally World carries it.   

Spookcat

• Proud Cat Lady
  • Ellevated
  • I'm not an actual cat...or am I?!
« Reply #1091 on: October 30, 2019, 04:43:03 PM »
SpookPumpkin, I say cut your hands clean off, start a new. That's what I do.

I will keep that one in mind. 😊
Time spent with cats is never wasted.

TigerLily

• Evil Temptress
  • Ellevated
« Reply #1092 on: October 30, 2019, 04:49:04 PM »
Problem is the way the appropriation process works in the federal government. Funding can’t cross FY boundaries so the programs ebb and flow with each congressional election and the destination changes with each presidential election.

Note. This is not a political discussion. Not taking sides. Just stating facts.

Bush had a good plan with SLI. Obama cancelled it but then was forced to keep SLS and Orion by Congress. Building a rocket and a capsule with no destination.  It was going to go somewhere but not the moon because that was Bush’s plan.  Now Trump says go back to the moon.  And NASA answered a question yesterday saying they don’t know if they will bring back rocks from the moon because the Ofion capsule wasn’t designed with a dedicated storage space for sample returns.

If Trump gets reelected we might actually go back to the moon.  If he doesn’t the program will probably get canceled because it was Trump’s plan.  So then we might go to Mars. Or to an asteroid.  Or somewhere. But Congress will say they have to use SLS and Orion because too many congressional districts are involved in their development.

Multi year budgets/funding appropriation for nationwide strategic initiatives like this will be the only real solution but currently that is against the law.

The second half sounded pretty political to me 😼 . How do you feel about the private companies doing it instead?

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
« Reply #1093 on: October 30, 2019, 04:55:25 PM »
The second half sounded pretty political to me 😼 . How do you feel about the private companies doing it instead?

Private companies are great but aren’t they evil capitalist dogs?

If private companies are working government contracts then you have the same funding allocation issues across fiscal years.  If they were to do it totally without government funding I would have concerns about space law and who owns what, what are the safeguards against contamination of a place like Mars, what are the litter laws, and how strong is their contract with the commercial astronauts so that when they die on or on the way back from Mars that some litigious family member doesn’t end up owning SpaceX. 

I like the private initiatives as a concept but I think we should have NASA in charge or China or India will end up owning the moon.

P.s. there was nothing political in that last half.  You saw Trump’s name and made the assumption.  It doesn’t matter who is in office. That is the point.  History since 1969 has proved that the priorities will change when the president changes.
Are we having fun yet?

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated