Author Topic: Classic TV  (Read 4618 times)

ItsOver

• Ellevated
Classic TV
« on: September 26, 2021, 02:50:32 PM »
AntaÅ­en kamaradoj!

🤡 🌎 🤡 🌍 🤡 🌎

Uncle Duke

• Elluminati
Re: Classic TV
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2021, 03:13:45 PM »
https://outsider.com/news/entertainment/andy-griffith-show-don-knotts-sent-tons-single-bullets-fans/

This is a brief, but wonderful interview.

https://books.google.com/books/about/Andy_and_Don.html?id=vYPRCgAAQBAJ&source=kp_book_description

If you've not read it, I recommend this book.  It was written by Knotts' brother in law, and is the "warts and all" story of the two men and their friendship. He also interviewed a number of the (then) surviving cast. 

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2021, 05:44:15 AM »
I enjoyed that interview.  Thanks for posting it. @ItsOver  I'm going to get that book. @Uncle Duke  The Andy Griffith Show is one of my favorites.

The classic TV shows are my overall favorite and sometimes I think I should've been born in a different era.  I get a pretty good ribbing from my buddies when they want me to meet them at the sports bar, or go over to one of their places to watch shows like Survivor or some other "reality" crap.  But I decline because I want to watch The Lawrence Welk Show or Perry Mason instead.  ;D 

By the way, would either of you consider shows from the 70's as classic TV?  I do.

For some reason The Rat Patrol just popped in my head.  I think that was from the 60's but I watched reruns in the 70's when I was a kid.  I always wanted a jeep with a .50 caliber machine gun mounted on it.  I digress.  ;)

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2021, 09:35:10 AM »
As a kid, I loved it when one of the TV stations would show an episode from One Step Beyond.  I have to limit my time living in 2021.  ;) @ShayP .

&t=22s

Uncle Duke

• Elluminati
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2021, 09:51:03 AM »
No Streamable.com post ID supplied.
I enjoyed that interview.  Thanks for posting it. @ItsOver  I'm going to get that book. @Uncle Duke  The Andy Griffith Show is one of my favorites.

The classic TV shows are my overall favorite and sometimes I think I should've been born in a different era.  I get a pretty good ribbing from my buddies when they want me to meet them at the sports bar, or go over to one of their places to watch shows like Survivor or some other "reality" crap.  But I decline because I want to watch The Lawrence Welk Show or Perry Mason instead.  ;D 

By the way, would either of you consider shows from the 70's as classic TV?  I do.

For some reason The Rat Patrol just popped in my head.  I think that was from the 60's but I watched reruns in the 70's when I was a kid.  I always wanted a jeep with a .50 caliber machine gun mounted on it.  I digress.  ;)

Have you listen to the "Two Chairs, No Waiting" podcast? It's all about the Andy Griffith Show and is hosted by a guy who is a "Floyd the Barber" tribute artist. No, seriously.  He's done 650 episodes of the show, each episode lasting about 30 minutes.  He tends to get a bit schmaltzy at times, but his connections to all people/things associated with the show is astounding.  I particularly like the segment where they do a thumbnail look at supporting characters and the actors who played them. It's surprising how many actors had multiple appearances on the show playing multiple characters.  One thing you learn listening to this podcast is continuity was not the show's long suit.

ItsOver

• Ellevated
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2021, 09:59:55 AM »

A lot of what I’d consider classic shows were on in the 70’s.  Mary Tyler Moore, Columbo (pilots in the 60s but the actual series didn’t start until the 70s), The Rockford Files, WKRP in Cincinnati...  One of my favorite comedies is Seinfeld, and it didn’t start until the late 80’s.  I’d consider it to have common classic TV elements.

Ha!  The Rat Patrol!  I was watching it for awhile, just recently. It’s on H&I on Saturday nights. :)

https://www.handitv.com/

AntaÅ­en kamaradoj!

🤡 🌎 🤡 🌍 🤡 🌎

Camazotz Automat

• Drone Pilot
    • The Shaver Mystery
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2021, 10:29:49 AM »
I'm looking forward to the MOVIES! television network schedule. It is locked and loaded for October. Classic horror and scifi.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

ItsOver

• Ellevated
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2021, 11:16:47 AM »
I'm looking forward to the MOVIES! television network schedule. It is locked and loaded for October. Classic horror and scifi.

Ah, yes!  I’ve been watching the Movies! promo for October.  Looking good for The Hallowed month. :)
AntaÅ­en kamaradoj!

🤡 🌎 🤡 🌍 🤡 🌎

sean92008

• Garage Band
  • Ellevated
  • Wondering if that was the end
    • Not me but an incredible stimulation
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2021, 11:32:39 AM »
Floyd the Barber had a recurring bit on St. Elsewhere as a lawyer on the hospital's board of trustees... Towards the end of his run, they made a "Floyd the Barber" joke... They were never short on allusions to other shows and personal careers... Which makes the Tommyverse even more involved...

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/500756/tommy-westphall-theory-unified-tv-universe-explained

Eh, nevermind...

ItsOver

• Ellevated
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2021, 12:08:17 PM »

If you haven’t seen it, yet, “Dead Calm” has one more showing in September.

https://www.moviestvnetwork.com/movies/2315

One of Kidman’s first movies and an Aussie production.  A really taught, suspenseful flick, with some horrific moments.
AntaÅ­en kamaradoj!

🤡 🌎 🤡 🌍 🤡 🌎

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Charles Arnt
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2021, 01:25:40 PM »

The Fly, 1958, starring my number one actor Vincent Price.  Also starring Al Hedison, who would later change his first name to David, in time for his stint on Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea.  The thing I found interesting about this movie is that there were no face to face scenes with Vincent and David.  If you watch the movie, you will see that each of the two characters were filmed separately.  Unless David was wearing that humongous fly's head toward the end.  But now I'm not so sure that Vincent interacted with The Fly either.  (Except for the end when Vincent was looking at the regular sized fly in the spider's web.)  Zounds, I'm going to have to view the film again to find out. 

Camazotz Automat

• Drone Pilot
    • The Shaver Mystery
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2021, 02:57:14 PM »
The Fly, 1958, starring my number one actor Vincent Price.  Also starring Al Hedison, who would later change his first name to David, in time for his stint on Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea.  The thing I found interesting about this movie is that there were no face to face scenes with Vincent and David.  If you watch the movie, you will see that each of the two characters were filmed separately.  Unless David was wearing that humongous fly's head toward the end.  But now I'm not so sure that Vincent interacted with The Fly either.  (Except for the end when Vincent was looking at the regular sized fly in the spider's web.)  Zounds, I'm going to have to view the film again to find out.

If you zoom in on the signed lobby card, you can see what Hedison wrote. It took me a second to make it out, but suddenly, it was hilariously obvious!

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2021, 05:02:29 PM »
As a kid, I loved it when one of the TV stations would show an episode from One Step Beyond.  I have to limit my time living in 2021.  ;) @ShayP .

For some reason I thought I've seen some episodes of that but now I'm not sure.  I'll have to check it out.

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2021, 05:03:55 PM »
No Streamable.com post ID supplied.
Have you listen to the "Two Chairs, No Waiting" podcast? It's all about the Andy Griffith Show and is hosted by a guy who is a "Floyd the Barber" tribute artist. No, seriously.  He's done 650 episodes of the show, each episode lasting about 30 minutes.  He tends to get a bit schmaltzy at times, but his connections to all people/things associated with the show is astounding.  I particularly like the segment where they do a thumbnail look at supporting characters and the actors who played them. It's surprising how many actors had multiple appearances on the show playing multiple characters.  One thing you learn listening to this podcast is continuity was not the show's long suit.

I'm not familiar with that podcast.  I'll give it a go.

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2021, 05:14:31 PM »
A lot of what I’d consider classic shows were on in the 70’s.  Mary Tyler Moore, Columbo (pilots in the 60s but the actual series didn’t start until the 70s), The Rockford Files, WKRP in Cincinnati...  One of my favorite comedies is Seinfeld, and it didn’t start until the late 80’s.  I’d consider it to have common classic TV elements.

Ha!  The Rat Patrol!  I was watching it for awhile, just recently. It’s on H&I on Saturday nights. :)

https://www.handitv.com/

Cool.  I like all of those shows.  I'm still waiting on my Rockford Files box set.  Damn bastards at Amazon.  >:(   I loved Seinfeld but the finale really sucked, in my opinion.  Mary Tyler Moore is one I have to revisit.  I don't even recall the last time I saw an episode.  Ted Knight was great, as were the others in the show.