Author Topic: Space, The Final Frontier ^ Starship  (Read 2365 times)

catbert99

• KDWN
  • Life-long Republican!
Space, The Final Frontier ^ Starship
« on: December 22, 2020, 05:59:58 PM »

Up All Night

• Ellevated
  • N. Texas
    • Stroll Down Memory Lane
Re: Space, The Final Frontier ^ Starship
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2021, 09:11:11 PM »
Watch on YT at 50% speed:

TigerLily

• Official Muse
  • Ellevated
  • Founder Art's Tarts and Legacy Bart's Bitchen Babe
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2021, 10:58:09 AM »
Cool sciencey information. Maybe I knew this in college but totally forgot. And I like the pretty picture. Gives a nice perspective in the size differential between the planets

https://twitter.com/physicsJ/status/1386343519829168128
“I'll try a pagan friend, thought I, since Christian kindness has proved but hollow courtesy.” - Herman Melville

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2021, 11:25:09 AM »
Cool sciencey information. Maybe I knew this in college but totally forgot. And I like the pretty picture. Gives a nice perspective in the size differential between the planets

https://twitter.com/physicsJ/status/1386343519829168128

That is interesting. I naively took an Astronomy course, thinking that I would learn cool facts like that. Instead it was just more formulas to memorize and apply.  :'(
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

TigerLily

• Official Muse
  • Ellevated
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2021, 12:49:27 PM »
That is interesting. I naively took an Astronomy course, thinking that I would learn cool facts like that. Instead it was just more formulas to memorize and apply.  :'(

Looks like Greek to me. My Astronomy class was actually a combination of Astronomy and Geology for Humanities Majors. Generally known as Rocks and Stars. You need to go for it really dumb downed
Look! There's Uranus!
“I'll try a pagan friend, thought I, since Christian kindness has proved but hollow courtesy.” - Herman Melville

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2021, 01:19:26 PM »
Looks like Greek to me. My Astronomy class was actually a combination of Astronomy and Geology for Humanities Majors. Generally known as Rocks and Stars. You need to go for it really dumb downed
Look! There's Uranus!

See I would have loved that!  It was a free elective.  I wanted *fun* but just got gnarl. Also took Anthropology - it sounded cool but just turned out to be a bunch of hang wringing over little dudes in the Amazon. Do you just leave them alone or bulldoze the joint down and put in a strip mall where they can get a $5 footlong at the Subway, or a plate of Moo Goo Gai Pan at Golden China and then swing by J.G. Wentworth and get cash now.

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2021, 01:38:07 PM »
Look! There's Uranus!

Mine was called Earth and Space Science and it was worth 4 semester hours. Astronomy, Meteorology and Geology. Final exam for astronomy was he passed the moon through a path in the sky and you had to name the constellations it passed through.

I loved that course. After it was over I took the CLEP tests for those 3 subjects and ended up with 9 more semester hours of science credits.
Are we having fun yet?

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2021, 01:44:47 PM »
The course that got me to get out of the Air Force and into the space program was called the Philosophy of Space Exploration. I needed a 300 level humanities course to graduate. This course was dual track. Humanities or Physics. I took it Pass/Fail. I thought it was going to be a blowoff class. Wish I had taken it for a grade. I would have finished my degree above 3.5 instead of 3.48.

Here is an online version of one of the two books we used as text books.

https://space.nss.org/colonies-in-space-by-t-a-heppenheimer/
Are we having fun yet?

TigerLily

• Official Muse
  • Ellevated
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2021, 01:21:17 PM »
The course that got me to get out of the Air Force and into the space program was called the Philosophy of Space Exploration. I needed a 300 level humanities course to graduate. This course was dual track. Humanities or Physics. I took it Pass/Fail. I thought it was going to be a blowoff class. Wish I had taken it for a grade. I would have finished my degree above 3.5 instead of 3.48.

Here is an online version of one of the two books we used as text books.

https://space.nss.org/colonies-in-space-by-t-a-heppenheimer/

Looks like a book I would read for fun. As long as it has some cool pictures

StarrMountain

• Hall Of Famer
  • Ellevated
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2021, 07:21:57 PM »

StarrMountain

• Hall Of Famer
  • Ellevated
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2021, 05:30:53 AM »

TigerLily

• Official Muse
  • Ellevated
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2021, 11:05:38 AM »
This new image of the Milky Way's core builds on previous observations from Chandra and other observatories. These newest observations stretch higher above and farther below our galaxy's plane, or the disk where most of the Milky Way's stars can be found, than previous imaging efforts have achieved, according to a NASA statement.

The Milky Way's Galactic Center, as seen by the Chandra X-ray observatory. (Image credit: X-ray:NASA/CXC/UMass/Q.D. Wang; Radio: NRF/SARAO/MeerKAT)

In the panorama, you can see orange, green, blue and purple regions representing different X-ray energies. Radio data from the MeerKAT radio telescope in South Africa can be seen in gray and lilac colors.  In the labeled version of the image, provided by the Chandra team, you can even pinpoint different notable features of the galactic center, including Sagittarius A*, the supermassive black hole at the Milky Way's heart.

How about some appropriate background music as you navel gave the black hole (not so black rather colorful) at the center of our galaxy

damon

• I Am The New Falkie!
  • Ellightened
  • Gone Fishing

StarrMountain

• Hall Of Famer
  • Ellevated
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2021, 11:47:30 AM »

Please tell me that is not a flying dildo at the top right. :o ::) ;D

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2021, 01:31:19 PM »

Please tell me that is not a flying dildo at the top right. :o ::) ;D

No, the dildo isn't flying, it is just standing there on the left.

;) ;) ;) ;)