Author Topic: The Legendary Art Bell  (Read 274691 times)

Robert

• Drone Pilot
Re: The Legendary Art Bell
« Reply #210 on: August 04, 2018, 01:03:46 PM »
I slept thru almost the entirety of last night's regular MITD (missed the last round of MQTA too) but woke up for the bonus hour at the end, being Keith Rowland's story, which I was most interested in and believed all of.

One thing that confused me, though, was the timing of the sequence of finding a replacement m.c. for Art on MITD; it sounded like that was in the works well before the night of the shooting, and the revelation of his "I'm shot" joke even suggested a kind of rehearsal for such a hoax.  Has Keith said anything that would confirm that the shooter-stalker scenario (from cut cable to shootings) was made up?  Like maybe something was said in the 3-hour tribute show that preceded this bonus?

sydtron

• KIDD
« Reply #211 on: August 04, 2018, 01:17:06 PM »

Some fun to watch. This guy is a wizard for sure.
R.I.P. Art. Every time I hear this. I do the intro.

Bobs Your Uncle

• Ellightened
  • "It is your birthday"
« Reply #212 on: August 04, 2018, 01:17:35 PM »
I slept thru almost the entirety of last night's regular MITD (missed the last round of MQTA too) but woke up for the bonus hour at the end, being Keith Rowland's story, which I was most interested in and believed all of.

One thing that confused me, though, was the timing of the sequence of finding a replacement m.c. for Art on MITD; it sounded like that was in the works well before the night of the shooting, and the revelation of his "I'm shot" joke even suggested a kind of rehearsal for such a hoax.  Has Keith said anything that would confirm that the shooter-stalker scenario (from cut cable to shootings) was made up?  Like maybe something was said in the 3-hour tribute show that preceded this bonus?

Good point. I don't recall any discussion about the shooting being made up. On the contrary, it sounded like it was legitimate. But you're right, it looks like they were searching for a replacement before the shooting.

Morgus

• Elluminati
« Reply #213 on: August 04, 2018, 01:39:14 PM »

Keith didn't imply that the stalker was a hoax at all.  In fact he mentioned someone who he thought was that person, a local in Pahrump that wanted Art to advertise his product on MITD, but Art refused since he believed it was junk so that angered the guy.

Jayzelady

• Ellevated
  • Look out, choc bunny. Your ears will soon be mine!
« Reply #214 on: August 04, 2018, 02:00:28 PM »
Keith didn't imply that the stalker was a hoax at all.  In fact he mentioned someone who he thought was that person, a local in Pahrump that wanted Art to advertise his product on MITD, but Art refused since he believed it was junk so that angered the guy.

That fits with what Karen had said when Dave interviewed her after Art died and she mentioned some crazy guy also hanging around the station giving her trouble.

KRowland

• VARAfied
  • KMST
  • The Webmaster
« Reply #215 on: August 04, 2018, 04:02:18 PM »
I believe your opinion of him is too kind.

Remember how he proclaimed himself "keeping the chair warm for Art Bell", etc, during Art's no compete period.  He made it sound like he and Art were best buds and that he was the chosen one to fill in on DMDN until Art's return.  Just a jerk.

Until he decided to be George Noory’s fill-in host, he cut the ties with us. Contrary to Jimmy saying he spoke with Art everyday, the only time Jimmy and Art spoke is when I conferenced them together and they argued about Jimmy going on C2C. Art hated Premiere, as soon as Jimmy showed any interest is C2C and GN, they never spoke again, AFAIK.

This oujia board stunt is just showing another attempt at sucking up to Art’s fans.

ItsOver

• Ellevated
« Reply #216 on: August 04, 2018, 04:37:32 PM »
#MeToo I heard the first recent show Richard done with Clyde and enjoyed it. Clyde intimated he planned on having Richard back frequently now that they have reconnected.
I haven't heard the July 27th show yet although I downloaded it from Soundcloud. Hopefully it is a good 'un  :D
https://www.groundzeromedia.org/7-27-18-rosen-bridge-to-babalon-w-richard-hoaglund-and-brian-butler/
I'm glad RCH is on with Clyde.  RCH is still an entertaining old coot and Clyde is much, much better with a guest.  Clyde's smart enough to play along and keep up with Hoagie, rather than just do a "Noory" and scratch his balls and interject a random "that's true!"
AntaÅ­en kamaradoj!

🤡 🌎 🤡 🌍 🤡 🌎

Desmond

• KIDD
« Reply #217 on: August 04, 2018, 05:26:38 PM »
Until he decided to be George Noory’s fill-in host, he cut the ties with us. Contrary to Jimmy saying he spoke with Art everyday, the only time Jimmy and Art spoke is when I conferenced them together and they argued about Jimmy going on C2C. Art hated Premiere, as soon as Jimmy showed any interest is C2C and GN, they never spoke again, AFAIK.

This oujia board stunt is just showing another attempt at sucking up to Art’s fans.

JB is really out of touch if he thought that stunt would fool anyone, especially long time Art fans.  Tacky, disrespectful, and transparent.  He didn't make any friends or fans with that crap.

HumanBeing

• Elluminati
« Reply #218 on: August 04, 2018, 08:44:14 PM »
On Second thought Keith, skip the Hoagland add in... Had a temporary moment of insanity, then I heard Richard being Richard...

;D  But that is exactly what makes Hoagland... Hoagland and why it would be fantastic.

HumanBeing

• Elluminati
« Reply #219 on: August 04, 2018, 09:52:24 PM »
Just heard Ian Punnett's bit from the "Art Bell Final Sendoff Show".
What an absolute muppet. The segment suddenly became about him and how much Alan Corbeth influenced him.
I was surprised Ian was able to talk with his tongue so far up Corbeth's butt. He was so giddy.
One needs to cleanse oneself by going through a decontamination chamber at the CDC after allowing auditory waves from Ian's vocal chords get processed by their ears. It is greasy.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

4Katdad

• KNYE
  • Can't you see I'm busy?
« Reply #220 on: August 04, 2018, 10:17:22 PM »
Just heard Ian Punnett's bit from the "Art Bell Final Sendoff Show".
What an absolute muppet. The segment suddenly became about him and how much Alan Corbeth influenced him.
I was surprised Ian was able to talk with his tongue so far up Corbeth's butt. He was so giddy.
One needs to cleanse oneself by going through a decontamination chamber at the CDC after allowing auditory waves from Ian's vocal chords get processed by their ears. It is greasy.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I liked Ian when he first started guest-hosting on C2C in the early 00s I think. He seemed original, had some fresh content and angles for the show, was a change of pace and didn't copy Art, which was good. But after a few years he just wore me down with his too-cool-for-school type approach, laughing at his own remarks and one-liners, getting combative with guests he didn't agree with rather than let them present their topic/research, and he just seemed to get sillier and sillier in his approach. I'm all for switching it up and having fun with the show from time to time, a walk on the lighter side, but Ian just became a caricature of himself IMO.

Church has never grown on me. His cadence and the sound of his voice make me feel like he's trying to sell me snake oil. And I hate how he spends the first 10 minutes of his show telling the audience how well he knows his guest, like he's part of the in-crowd and tight with everyone when all he's doing is hanging out with them at a conference. And if they are actually close friends, just say "we're close friends" and be done with it. No need to give us a life history of the friendship.

Schrader is galaxies better than those two.

4Katdad

• KNYE
« Reply #221 on: August 04, 2018, 10:26:26 PM »
I would be remiss if I didn't applaud Ian for the shows he did about the Smiley Face Killer and the D.B. Cooper case. I really enjoyed those shows, very interesting and thought-provoking. They were right in the same vein as Knappy's David Paulides shows. Wish Ian would ditch the cartoon-character act and go back to that style because he was much better then.

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #222 on: August 04, 2018, 10:47:57 PM »
I liked Ian when he first started guest-hosting on C2C in the early 00s I think. He seemed original, had some fresh content and angles for the show, was a change of pace and didn't copy Art, which was good. But after a few years he just wore me down with his too-cool-for-school type approach, laughing at his own remarks and one-liners, getting combative with guests he didn't agree with rather than let them present their topic/research, and he just seemed to get sillier and sillier in his approach. I'm all for switching it up and having fun with the show from time to time, a walk on the lighter side, but Ian just became a caricature of himself IMO...

I really liked Ian.  He was a good host, and a lot of the time covered some good topics that no one else really did.  He had some slightly annoying quirks - smug, smarmy, an elitist wannabe, terrible sense of humor - especially with the bad puns, pretending to be a Christian while distancing himself from Christianity, always had to have the last word, and so on.  But it was with a light touch and not overly irritating.

For me it all seemed to turn when he was forced to apologize on air to that Steve Quayle idiot after arguing with him about what the show topic was going to be.  After that Ian seemed worse, like he either didn't care or at least wasn't going to bother limiting his asshattedness.  His little quirks became major impediments to the enjoyment of his show.  As a host he changed, turned into a raging jerk.  Still is

paladin1991

• Nuthin Is Unpossible
  • Ellevated
« Reply #223 on: August 04, 2018, 11:43:19 PM »

Human cockroach.  Trying to steal some of the magic with his BS statements. Thanks for making clear what I believe, most here already 'knew.' 

4Katdad

• KNYE
« Reply #224 on: August 05, 2018, 12:02:28 AM »
I really liked Ian.  He was a good host, and a lot of the time covered some good topics that no one else really did.  He had some slightly annoying quirks - smug, smarmy, an elitist wannabe, terrible sense of humor - especially with the bad puns, pretending to be a Christian while distancing himself from Christianity, always had to have the last word, and so on.  But it was with a light touch and not overly irritating.

For me it all seemed to turn when he was forced to apologize on air to that Steve Quayle idiot after arguing with him about what the show topic was going to be.  After that Ian seemed worse, like he either didn't care or at least wasn't going to bother limiting his asshattedness.  His little quirks became major impediments to the enjoyment of his show.  As a host he changed, turned into a raging jerk.  Still is

Totally agree with all of this. He jumped the shark for me with his Zombie Apocalypse show that was in the mold of War of the Worlds. Don't remember if that came before or after the Quayle fiasco. I actually never heard that Quayle show because, by then, I had determined that Quayle was either batshit nuts, a pathological liar, or both. Certainly not listenable for a show. The hell of it is, I used to like Quayle when he talked about the terrorism stuff back in the day. But he strayed from that and got into -- and stayed in -- padded room territory. I remember on one of Art's interviews after he left MITD when he said that many guests would feel like they had to continually outdo themselves each time they were on. Quayle was certainly one of them. Don't remember if he was ever on with Art, but Quayle went completely off the rails. Noory has pretty much stopped having him on from what I can tell.

When Ian decides to get serious and do a big-boy show, he still has some chops. But that's rare. More often we get the smug, elitist, unfunny version of Ian. Can't tell if he's doing it on purpose or just morphed into it naturally. Do we know if he's going to stay as a fill-in host once he starts teaching at K-State in the fall?