Author Topic: Your Desert Island Movie List  (Read 7762 times)

Billy Joe Mulgreavey

• Elluminati
  • 3.99 or 6.99, content seen NOWHERE else!
Re: Your Desert Island Movie List
« Reply #255 on: March 12, 2024, 02:27:05 AM »
Is the T.A.M.I. Show considered a movie?

i=19sWGWm1OUMuXvSU

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T.A.M.I._Show

Please, Please, Please

Turn on my VCR
Same one I've had for years
James Brown on the T.A.M.I. show
Same tape I've had for years

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #256 on: March 12, 2024, 09:06:58 AM »
Master And Commander being tossed about as a candidate. I've been considering it since the list started.

Nautical adventures.  :)

TigerLily

• Evil Temptress
  • Ellevated
  • Founder Art's Tarts and Legacy Bart's Bitchen Babe
« Reply #257 on: March 13, 2024, 01:46:28 PM »
The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the Eighth Dimension. This has an unbelievable cast, with people like John Lithgow, Peter Weller, Jeff Goldblum, Ellen Barkin (who looks hot AF in this). Don't worry about the plot, which makes no fucking sense. Also, they fired the original DP (who worked on Blade Runner) so the first part of the film looks really good while the rest is shitty-looking. It's a definite cult film, but it has lots of quotable lines in it. It helps if you're drunk off your ass to enjoy it fully.

I love this movie. Total classic. High or sober
“I'll try a pagan friend, thought I, since Christian kindness has proved but hollow courtesy.” - Herman Melville

TigerLily

• Evil Temptress
  • Ellevated
« Reply #258 on: March 13, 2024, 01:49:12 PM »
Master And Commander being tossed about as a candidate. I've been considering it since the list started.

Nautical adventures.  :)

Great movie.  Russell Crowe seems like he would be such a jerk in real life but an amazing actor
“I'll try a pagan friend, thought I, since Christian kindness has proved but hollow courtesy.” - Herman Melville

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #259 on: March 13, 2024, 01:53:01 PM »

Great movie.  Russell Crowe seems like he would be such a jerk in real life but an amazing actor
You mean he's a conservative so you think he'd be a big jerk. @TigerLily  Don't politicize everything.

Why don't you start a list?  :)

TigerLily

• Evil Temptress
  • Ellevated
« Reply #260 on: March 13, 2024, 10:38:02 PM »
You mean he's a conservative so you think he'd be a big jerk. @TigerLily  Don't politicize everything.

Why don't you start a list?  :)

He's an Aussie. Who cares about his politics? Like Canucks. I have so many favorite movies I wouldn't be able to pick even the top 20. I'd have to do it by genre and decade or even genre within decade. Too much

TigerLily

• Evil Temptress
  • Ellevated
« Reply #261 on: March 13, 2024, 10:52:25 PM »
How about I share a little story about movies instead. The first time I got high was with my mom. Must have been the summer between my freshman and sophomore year. Our house sat next to a park. My mom came back from taking my little brother to the park. She found a pack of Marlboro Golds. But instead of cigarettes it had 2 joints in it. Mom was pretty excited. She told me , "you have to try this with me" so when my little brother went down for a nap I lit it up and we toked and coughed our way through "The Thin Man" and actually got pretty high. Turned out to be a fascinating movie and still one of my very favorites

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Charles Wayne Clark
« Reply #262 on: March 15, 2024, 09:45:12 PM »
4.  Morituri 1965.

Hard to believe that this black and white war drama wasn't made back in the 1950s, especially when two of its principle stars are Marlon Brando and Yul Brynner.  World War Two is in full swing but Robert Crain, as played by Brando, wouldn't know it because he's living a life of ease in India.  Until that is, he's visited by an English Colonel (as played by Trevor Howard) who exposes him as being a full blooded German living incognito there in India so as to avoid participating in the war.  Crain is a wealthy German engineer and the Colonel threatens to notify German authorities as to his whereabouts, unless, of course, he takes part in a mission of boarding a freighter loaded with precious rubber.  Crain has to play the part of a high ranking Nazi Party member, on board to check and see if all the crewmen are loyal Nazis'.  His real job though, is to wander about the ship and disable a number of dynamite charges that are located in hidden spots throughout the vessel.  Why?  Because the ship is planned to be waylaid by the allies, half way across the ocean and it's rubber cargo seized.  Yul Brynner is the German master of the freighter and he has been given explicit orders to get that rubber from China to France and to blow it up rather than have it be captured.  Thus the dynamite charges and thus Brando's assignment which he reluctantly accepts cuz' he's like being blackmailed.  So there's your movie, and it's a great one.

Brynner and Brando are awesome as the dueling Germans.  Wally Cox (a close friend of Brando's in real life) is also in the movie, playing a heroin riddled doctor.  Another favorite character actor of mine is in the movie.  Hans Christian Blech, who plays a political prisoner aboard the ship.  He is a talented seaman who is allowed to go about his work unmolested.

They used a nifty film effect while making this movie.  Clever use of a helicopter and a zoom lens.  It was used a couple times throughout the movie.  (That's Hans there, running down the side of the ship.)

i=d_JBns2EaHQ7ssLe

Zetaspeak

• Elluminati
« Reply #263 on: March 15, 2024, 10:07:23 PM »
1 - Naked Gun -
2 - 12 Angry Men - (1957)
3 - Indiana Jones Temple of Doom -
4 - Dr. Strangelove -
5 - Mulholland Drive
6-  Young Frankenstein -
7-  Batman (1989)

8. Cloak and Dagger (1984 movie) -  I am sure this is not on anyone list or maybe even heard of it. But I LOVED this movie as a kid, it's about a kid was given an Atari cartridge with secret military codes in it and the Commies want it! Super fun movie that I guess directed to kids (but there was many dudes being shot dead so not sure if it was but it is the 80s lol) but I remember even liking it a later on. Even though I just found out the dad/kid's imaginary friend, Dabney Coleman (boss from 9 to 5 movie) was not Gerald McRaney (Major Dad TV show) who I thought were the same guy  ???

This title is used a lot i see it on my TV guide and i get excited and usually get dissapointed that it's just some new Marvel series or a 1960s Gary Cooper/Robert Aldo movie which I will assume is more respected but I vote for the 80s nonsense!!!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #264 on: March 25, 2024, 04:45:30 PM »
I'm in the home stretch now.  Three more entries to go.  Per KSM's rule a trilogy counts as one entry so I'm going with Jackon's Lord of the Rings

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #265 on: March 25, 2024, 06:18:53 PM »
I'm in the home stretch now.  Three more entries to go.  Per KSM's rule a trilogy counts as one entry so I'm going with Jackon's Lord of the Rings

Can't argue with dat!

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #266 on: March 26, 2024, 05:08:43 PM »

@Walks_At_Night Wait. There are 6 Jackson LOTR movies. Are you adding all six or just the first three? The Hobbit is actually the first of the entire series even though it was the 4th movie made.  Sort of a Star Wars thing..

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #267 on: March 26, 2024, 05:37:52 PM »
@Walks_At_Night Wait. There are 6 Jackson LOTR movies. Are you adding all six or just the first three? The Hobbit is actually the first of the entire series even though it was the 4th movie made.  Sort of a Star Wars thing..

I'll pass on the Hobbit series. I think technically that would be a separate, distinct entry, would it not?

Billy Joe Mulgreavey

• Elluminati
  • 3.99 or 6.99, content seen NOWHERE else!
« Reply #268 on: March 26, 2024, 08:07:37 PM »
1. JAWS (1975)
2. Florida Straits (1986)
3. The Invisible Man (1933)
4. Flashpoint (1984)
5. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966)
6. Fast Times at Ridgemont High (1982)
7. Escape From New York (1981)
8. Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)
9. Kogarashi Monjiro-Withered Tree (1972)
10. Time Bandits (1981)
11. My Fellow Americans (1996)
12. Casablanca (1942)

13. Slayground (1983)  Thieves run over a child while escaping after an armored car robbery. A deadly hitman who likes to taunt his targets is hired to track them down.  The final thief left alive (Stone) flees to England to look for help from an old friend, but the assassin follows. Loosely based on Donald Westlake's cult crime novel.  B-rate movie but being a Westlake fan, I have a soft sot for it.  The final showdown takes place in an abandoned fairground. 

i=ArA45BTi2ILX3aa4

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #269 on: March 26, 2024, 09:07:09 PM »
I'll pass on the Hobbit series. I think technically that would be a separate, distinct entry, would it not?
IMO the Hobbit series is part of it all. You are supposed to watch all 6 on a binge watch movie day. Start at about 8AM and order in lunch and dinner along the way.

Glad to see a few of us adding Casablanca to the list.