Author Topic: Astronomy and the Heavens  (Read 6397 times)

Whistler

• Drone Pilot
  • We call ourselves the Nightstalkers...
Re: Astronomy and the Heavens
« Reply #60 on: August 03, 2019, 05:04:43 AM »
The Atlas of Space is comprised of ten maps, including an orbit map of over 18,000 asteroids, a topographical map of Mars, a map of the constellations in the Western sky, and a map of the moon’s geology. Rendered in stunning color to accompany the precise detail, Lutz’s maps are an incredible way to visualize astronomy.
Cool Site.  :)
You can find it here:  https://mymodernmet.com/astronomy-maps-atlas-of-space/

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
It may be that your sole purpose in life, is to serve as a warning to others.   :o

Dancing queen

• KMST
« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2019, 04:36:00 PM »
Cool Site.  :)
You can find it here:  https://mymodernmet.com/astronomy-maps-atlas-of-space/

Those maps are very cool. thanks for the link.

Evil Twin Of Zen

• Drone Pilot
  • Let'em wonder, that's MY motto.....
« Reply #62 on: September 16, 2019, 06:29:29 PM »
Arrows indicate position of Chang'e 4 lander on the floor of Von Kármán crater. The sharp crater behind and to the left of the landing site is 3900 meters across (12,800 feet) and 600 meters (1970 feet) deep. Image was shrunk by more than a factor of ten (full resolution available inside the post). LROC NAC M1303521387LR [NASA/GSFC/Arizona State University].

http://lroc.sese.asu.edu/posts/1090

Evil Twin Of Zen

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #63 on: October 01, 2019, 08:10:56 PM »
ever amazing... i've seen it and it always gives me one of those "welcome to the reality" moments. have you seen it?

UTAH

ARIZONA

CALIFORNIA

Evil Twin Of Zen

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #64 on: October 18, 2019, 05:59:56 PM »

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
« Reply #65 on: April 17, 2020, 11:32:42 PM »
I got to see a string of SpaceX Starlink satellites pass by over here on the West Coast.  It was pretty cool.  I must have seen about thirty or forty of them.  It was around 9:25 pm Pacific time and it was dark outside, but the satellites were up high enough to reflect the rays of the sun and that's why they were visible for nearly half an hour.  At first I saw one after another pass by above, but then I saw a group of four in a diamond shape formation.  I also saw several of them catch the sunlight just right and they became bright bursts of light for an instant.  Near the end, two of them went by and they were close together.  It was a fun sight and from what I heard, they will be passing by overhead tomorrow night as well, 9:25 again for my sector, though it might be a different time for other West Coast locations.  Check your local paper, they might have some information, plus there are some tracking sites like this one:  https://findstarlink.com/     

Up All Night

• Drone Pilot
  • I remember when
    • Stroll Down Memory Lane
« Reply #66 on: April 17, 2020, 11:49:54 PM »

Sofia

• Ellightened
« Reply #67 on: April 18, 2020, 01:37:36 AM »
I got to see a string of SpaceX Starlink satellites pass by over here on the West Coast.  It was pretty cool.  I must have seen about thirty or forty of them.  It was around 9:25 pm Pacific time and it was dark outside, but the satellites were up high enough to reflect the rays of the sun and that's why they were visible for nearly half an hour.  At first I saw one after another pass by above, but then I saw a group of four in a diamond shape formation.  I also saw several of them catch the sunlight just right and they became bright bursts of light for an instant.  Near the end, two of them went by and they were close together.  It was a fun sight and from what I heard, they will be passing by overhead tomorrow night as well, 9:25 again for my sector, though it might be a different time for other West Coast locations.  Check your local paper, they might have some information, plus there are some tracking sites like this one:  https://findstarlink.com/     
How would we know they weren't ufo's?  As satellites, who steers them into a diamond shape?

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
« Reply #68 on: April 18, 2020, 02:35:34 AM »
How would we know they weren't ufo's?  As satellites, who steers them into a diamond shape?

I wonder.  Also, those last two that were close together.  One wasn't behind the other, they were both running side by side.  From what I can ascertain, they are supposed to be a string of satellites, but I definitely saw a group of them shaped like a diamond, and also those last two that were running parallel to each other.  I read that they are equipped with ion engines that allow them to be adjusted for higher orbits.  When I was watching them pass by one after the other, they didn't look like a string.  They were all traveling in the same direction but some seemed to have slightly wider orbits than others.

TigerLily

• Official Muse
  • Ellevated
  • Founder Art's Tarts and Legacy Bart's Bitchen Babe
« Reply #69 on: April 18, 2020, 08:55:54 AM »

Thanks @Rikki Gins . I'm a stargazer too. I've seen the ISS float across the sky but didn't know about these. I downloaded the app for a reminder. Now when it updates, I just have to hope for clear skies

Here's a natural alignment this weekend

Looking for a fun way to pass the time while social distancing? The heavens will be putting on a free show this weekend, with an ornamental assortment of planets decorating the morning and evening skies.

Weather permitting, you’ll be able to catch the celestial rendezvous all weekend. In the evenings, you can spot Venus, while mornings will offer a lineup of the moon, Mars, Saturn and Jupiter.

"You were wild once. Don't let them tame you." -- Isadora Duncan.

TigerLily

• Official Muse
  • Ellevated
« Reply #70 on: April 18, 2020, 09:05:33 AM »

Let's hear it for Sagittarius A and the Center of the Milky Way (sounds like a title for a  @Rikki Gins  X Minus 1 show)

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
« Reply #71 on: April 18, 2020, 12:10:45 PM »
Thanks @Rikki Gins . I'm a stargazer too. I've seen the ISS float across the sky but didn't know about these. I downloaded the app for a reminder. Now when it updates, I just have to hope for clear skies

Here's a natural alignment this weekend

Looking for a fun way to pass the time while social distancing? The heavens will be putting on a free show this weekend, with an ornamental assortment of planets decorating the morning and evening skies.

Weather permitting, you’ll be able to catch the celestial rendezvous all weekend. In the evenings, you can spot Venus, while mornings will offer a lineup of the moon, Mars, Saturn and Jupiter.

Oh nice, @TigerLily.  Would that be the Heavens Above app?  I used to access it years ago but now they want you to log in, so I'll probably do that, as it's a very good site.  Good luck on seeing the 'string' of satellites.  It's a sight you won't forget.

TigerLily

• Official Muse
  • Ellevated
« Reply #72 on: April 18, 2020, 12:33:40 PM »
Oh nice, @TigerLily.  Would that be the Heavens Above app?  I used to access it years ago but now they want you to log in, so I'll probably do that, as it's a very good site.  Good luck on seeing the 'string' of satellites.  It's a sight you won't forget.

https://findstarlink.com       This one that is in your post. It directs to an app on Google Play 

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
« Reply #73 on: April 18, 2020, 12:41:34 PM »
https://findstarlink.com       This one that is in your post. It directs to an app on Google Play

Ahhh yes, I should have taken a closer look at the site.  Thanks, TL!

Up All Night

• Drone Pilot
  • I remember when
    • Stroll Down Memory Lane
« Reply #74 on: April 18, 2020, 07:01:38 PM »