Author Topic: Midnight in the Diner: Tales from the Road  (Read 148217 times)

tootsie_wootsy

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
  • Fuck off, this is not a place to be sweet
Re: Midnight in the Diner: Tales from the Road
« Reply #465 on: July 26, 2018, 10:22:34 AM »
Johnson City, Tennessee.
Yep, rain! ☔

I have an unrequited crush on a guy from Johnson City. Tn... :-\ 8)

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #466 on: July 26, 2018, 10:26:24 AM »
Dear WeinerInHand,

Do those 6” chrome lugnut extensions on the front wheels of some big rigs have any really functionality and if so please explain what it is. Is it a certified 6”?
Are we having fun yet?

WeinerInHand

• Elluminati
  • Here, hold this...
« Reply #467 on: July 26, 2018, 11:21:04 AM »
Dear WeinerInHand,

Do those 6” chrome lugnut extensions on the front wheels of some big rigs have any really functionality and if so please explain what it is. Is it a certified 6”?

Hahaha - looks only - most are chrome plated plastic and nothing more! 😆

WeinerInHand

• Elluminati
  • Here, hold this...
« Reply #468 on: July 26, 2018, 11:21:53 AM »
I have an unrequited crush on a guy from Johnson City. Tn... :-\ 8)

Hey Toots! ☺

WeinerInHand

• Elluminati
  • Here, hold this...
« Reply #469 on: July 26, 2018, 11:23:12 AM »
and congrats on new status   :) ;)

Thank you!  😃

WeinerInHand

• Elluminati
  • Here, hold this...
« Reply #470 on: July 26, 2018, 11:49:28 AM »
Lynchburg, Virginia. 86F. Humid but tolerable.

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #471 on: July 26, 2018, 01:50:14 PM »
Be happy you weren't hauling stuff on IH-35 in Austin today. Shut down near me for over 4 hours. Friend trapped on fly-over ramp so no way off the whole time. People ran out of gas, tried to do illegal moves to get out, and general traffic chaos. There initially was an accident and then vehicle and rass-fire. Then the guy, who apparently was drunk, told the cops he had a bomb. (Earlier reports were that a "suspicious package" was being investigated.) Nothing like tacking on a bomb charge after you get a drunk driving charge and accident. Wise move.  ;)

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/all-lanes-of-i-35-shut-down-in-south-austin/1325542272

https://www.statesman.com/news/breaking-news/traffic-alert-northbound-shut-down-after-vehicle-fire/p4ZOT7PH7bfRbu4c9IEneO/

WeinerInHand

• Elluminati
  • Here, hold this...
« Reply #472 on: July 26, 2018, 02:28:07 PM »
Be happy you weren't hauling stuff on IH-35 in Austin today. Shut down near me for over 4 hours. Friend trapped on fly-over ramp so no way off the whole time. People ran out of gas, tried to do illegal moves to get out, and general traffic chaos. There initially was an accident and then vehicle and rass-fire. Then the guy, who apparently was drunk, told the cops he had a bomb. (Earlier reports were that a "suspicious package" was being investigated.) Nothing like tacking on a bomb charge after you get a drunk driving charge and accident. Wise move.  ;)

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/all-lanes-of-i-35-shut-down-in-south-austin/1325542272

https://www.statesman.com/news/breaking-news/traffic-alert-northbound-shut-down-after-vehicle-fire/p4ZOT7PH7bfRbu4c9IEneO/

Ha! What an idiot. Hopefully, he'll be placed away to where he doesn't have to think for himself for a long, long time.
This is why we can't have nice things!  😒

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #473 on: July 26, 2018, 02:32:07 PM »
Ha! What an idiot. Hopefully, he'll be placed away to where he doesn't have to think for himself for a long, long time.
This is why we can't have nice things!  😒

Yeah, I'm sure his lawyer (and likely him when he sobers up) will be shaking his head "and so you figured a way to get out of a drunk driving accident is to claim you have a bomb??) With terrorism, cartels, and the recent Austin bomber the police can't mess around and so had to shut everything down and search "bomb" out of "abundance of caution.) There were good Samaritans who climbed up the access ramps and went to side of highway with gas cans to help those who ran out of gas.

WeinerInHand

• Elluminati
  • Here, hold this...
« Reply #474 on: July 26, 2018, 02:40:05 PM »
Yeah, I'm sure his lawyer (and likely him when he sobers up) will be shaking his head "and so you figured a way to get out of a drunk driving accident is to claim you have a bomb??) With terrorism, cartels, and the recent Austin bomber the police can't mess around and so had to shut everything down and search "bomb" out of "abundance of caution.) There were good Samaritans who climbed up the access ramps and went to side of highway with gas cans to help those who ran out of gas.

Well, I suppose that I'll give it a shot the next time I'm overweight at a scale!
Texas has a way. It's hard to put to words the effort they will invest into others -- now, that may be in helping -- or it may be in hurting -
But Texas has a way!  😆

« Reply #475 on: July 26, 2018, 03:10:26 PM »
Ever encounter engine-braking-rage?

Whenever I see a "NO ENGINE BRAKING" sign I know there's a cranky old geezer nearby

WeinerInHand

• Elluminati
  • Here, hold this...
« Reply #476 on: July 26, 2018, 03:20:08 PM »
Ever encounter engine-braking-rage?

Whenever I see a "NO ENGINE BRAKING" sign I know there's a cranky old geezer nearby

Rage? No. Disgust? Yes.
Engine brakes are to assist in mountainous driving conditions. Period. Can you use them at other times? Yeah, but be decent about it.
This fallback on "saving" brakes is merely an excuse to annoy people, and I've heard it a thousand times.
Some drivers just get a kick out of rattling windows... That driver is in the wrong.
Perfectly flat ground. No excuse!
He could have stayed a gear lower and used the "natural braking effect" of the engine.

WeinerInHand

• Elluminati
  • Here, hold this...
« Reply #477 on: July 27, 2018, 05:01:21 PM »
Columbus, Ohio. 80F. Low humidity.
I came in through the south east side and there really isn't much to see except the friday evening rush. Here's my bedroom view...

tootsie_wootsy

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
  • Fuck off, this is not a place to be sweet
« Reply #478 on: July 27, 2018, 05:14:05 PM »
hi weiner   :) ;)

WeinerInHand

• Elluminati
  • Here, hold this...
« Reply #479 on: July 27, 2018, 05:24:21 PM »