Author Topic: windows 10  (Read 1560 times)

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
Re: windows 10
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2019, 08:45:48 AM »
Dill wine?  I bet it IS quirky.  I sure as hell wouldn't drink it. ;D

Stock up.
I am a rocket scientist. Please do not embarrass yourself by asking me to help configure your laptop.

Whistler

• KNYE
  • We call ourselves the Nightstalkers...
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2019, 09:06:09 AM »
Stock up.
Firewood, water, and the Bkp Genny are all prepped.  ;)
I can open the door for you, but the journey is yours.    visitors can't see pics , please register or login

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2019, 09:11:25 AM »
Firewood, water, and the Bkp Genny are all prepped.  ;)

I’m in Lake Tahoe for a week of skiing. They have had about 6 feet of snow in the last week. Last night it got down to 11F. I want my blankie.
I am a rocket scientist. Please do not embarrass yourself by asking me to help configure your laptop.

Whistler

• KNYE
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2019, 09:38:56 AM »
I’m in Lake Tahoe for a week of skiing. They have had about 6 feet of snow in the last week. Last night it got down to 11F. I want my blankie.
LOL -  ;D
Temps will be in the mid 20's today for me. It's warmed up.
Do you have a decent pair of ski goggles ?   Snow blindness is a Bee-otch.  ;)
I hope you're having a blast. It sounds like fun.
Tuck-N-Go.  :D
I can open the door for you, but the journey is yours.    visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Whistler

• KNYE
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2019, 09:45:08 AM »
Nice pic.
At first I thought there was a body impression in the snow where you put it in the tulies, then I zoomed in.  :)
The snow looks a little heavy / wet.
You need some fresh, dry powder.    ;)

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2019, 10:01:27 AM »
Nice pic.
At first I thought there was a body impression in the snow where you put it in the tulies, then I zoomed in.  :)
The snow looks a little heavy / wet.
You need some fresh, dry powder.    ;)

Northstar got 79” in the last week. Lots of powder on the slopes. Trouble is I learned to ski in Vermont and upstate NY when I was stationed at Plattsburgh. 40 years later and I still have trouble skiing in deep snow. Give me ice and I can go down any run. Make it powder and I have to stick to blues and groomed blacks. I got stuck in the woods one time in the back bowl at Vail and it took me three hours to get down. Brutal. Snow was chest deep.

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2019, 10:02:16 AM »
LOL -  ;D
Temps will be in the mid 20's today for me. It's warmed up.
Do you have a decent pair of ski goggles ?   Snow blindness is a Bee-otch.  ;)
I hope you're having a blast. It sounds like fun.
Tuck-N-Go.  :D

I do have good goggles. With about 6 different colors of lenses.

Whistler

• KNYE
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2019, 10:33:52 AM »
@juan
Time for me to call it a day big guy.
I'm installing and setting up a program to test it out to see if it's comparable to QB.
Oh, you didn't get a 'No Disk Space Left' error on the Doze box you were running QB on, did you ?
This is very common - it's a bug in QB that's been there damn near 20 years or better.
QB really is nothing more than a polished turd AFAIC, but, if you want to use it, i'll help you.

Let me get this alt installed, set up, and tested. I'll probably write up a tutorial w/ screenshots and a walk-though for installing it.
I'm putting it on a Deb system, so (you did say you're on Mint, right ? ) this should be no problem for you to set it up on your box.

We should move this over to the Linux thread though, so I'll post my walk-through over there.  ;)

juan

• Elluminati
  • From off the Atlantic Coast, Surficial
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2019, 01:37:34 PM »
No, no Windows error. I’ll look forward to your fix.

KSM

• Senior Moderator
  • Elluminati
  • Personalized Picture
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2019, 07:17:46 PM »
I have a W10 query. This may be one for @wr250 perhaps. I really hate the way 10 was forced and even more angry that I cannot control updates as on previous OS's. Question is how does W10 update even when I have the ethernet cable unplugged and my system wifi set to off? I really should revert back to 7 :-\

I have a second laptop that I keep in the basement of my rental house so it's sometimes unplugged and down for weeks on end so of course it doesn't update until I fire it back up, but that is obvious.
TEXTING IS NOT TALKING!

wr250

• Elluminati
  • tux the magic penguin
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2019, 07:45:08 AM »
I have a W10 query. This may be one for @wr250 perhaps. I really hate the way 10 was forced and even more angry that I cannot control updates as on previous OS's. Question is how does W10 update even when I have the ethernet cable unplugged and my system wifi set to off? I really should revert back to 7 :-\

I have a second laptop that I keep in the basement of my rental house so it's sometimes unplugged and down for weeks on end so of course it doesn't update until I fire it back up, but that is obvious.
it probably turns the wifi on and updates.
the solution is to set the wifi connection to "metered" , so windows wont update using that ("except whats needed to keep windows running smoothly") .
the wired connection can be set that way as well, i use winaero tweaker to do so.
the other option is to disable WU in  services.msc . you will need to manually update by turning it back on , when finished disable it again.
statistics can be used to prove anything. 14% of the people know this.
https://lptd.home.blog/

KSM

• Senior Moderator
  • Elluminati
  • Personalized Picture
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2019, 08:39:44 PM »
it probably turns the wifi on and updates.
the solution is to set the wifi connection to "metered" , so windows wont update using that ("except whats needed to keep windows running smoothly") .
the wired connection can be set that way as well, i use winaero tweaker to do so.
the other option is to disable WU in  services.msc . you will need to manually update by turning it back on , when finished disable it again.
Thank you!
TEXTING IS NOT TALKING!

wr250

• Elluminati
  • tux the magic penguin
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2019, 04:55:37 AM »
Thank you!
to make windows defender update after you disable WU, follow the directions here
statistics can be used to prove anything. 14% of the people know this.
https://lptd.home.blog/

pissinthewind

• Nursery Resident
  • KMST
  • the uk weather man
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2019, 07:13:40 AM »
windows 10 is just horrible the only pc I have it on is one that is offline all the time. using ubuntu on my main pc that I built last year

KSM

• Senior Moderator
  • Elluminati
  • Personalized Picture
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2019, 02:52:27 PM »
W10 seems to have a personal grudge against my VPN.    New thing; when I get the update notifications they inform me that "Windows is a service" etc"  Think I'd prefer 98 SE over 10.
TEXTING IS NOT TALKING!