Author Topic: Whatever: The Open Lines Thread  (Read 628736 times)

Spookcat

• Proud Cat Lady
  • Ellevated
  • I'm not an actual cat...or am I?!
Re: Whatever: The Open Lines Thread
« Reply #1785 on: December 19, 2019, 04:54:37 AM »
It's pretty funny that everybody thinks they know exactly what they're eating. Unless you see it picked from a tree, yanked from the ground or killed and served right to your plate, you don't know shit.  Just fkn eat something and get on with your day. ::)

I tried soy chorizo the other day. Mixed with rice and vegetables, it wasn't bad.
Time spent with cats is never wasted.

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #1786 on: December 19, 2019, 05:56:52 AM »

Eat a normal at the grocery store GMO tomato. Then eat an heirloom tomato. If you can't tell the difference you need to get your tongue re-surfaced. And chicken with all the hormones and antibiotics? Even looks more like Chickenzilla than a real chicken

It's not always about organic vs gmo. 

Some fruits & vegetables continue to ripen, or ripen well after being picked, some don't.  Things have to be picked before being fully ripe, as it takes time to be packed and go from the farm to the store.

Tomatoes are one of the ones that stop ripening after being picked.  Oh sure, they get red, but they are still unripe 'green' tomatoes. 

Peaches, apricots, etc are wonderful when picked ripe and eaten right off the tree.  They are so awful at the store I don't even know who would buy them.  Certain apples are fantastic fresh off the tree (such as golden and red delicious), but an entirely different set are the ones that ripen in boxes and travel better (such as fuji and honey crisp).

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #1787 on: December 19, 2019, 06:06:21 AM »
We should distinguish between ways our food can be genetically modified. 

Nearly all our fruits and vegetables have been genetically altered over the centuries.  Most of what we eat wasn't originally found that way in nature, it was originally intentionally changed in pre-modern times to be bigger, better tasting, longer shelf life, easier to grow and so on.  The question is was this done naturally, such as hybridization - or unnaturally in a lab somewhere, using chemicals or parts from unrelated species.

10,000 years ago there was no such thing as corn.  In Mesoamerica, a member of the grass family - with a single small kernel and tough hull - was genetically altered over what must have been generations to become the multi-kernelled maize the Spanish found there.

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #1788 on: December 19, 2019, 06:16:09 AM »
I'm suspicious of something being deemed 'organic'.

It's a political term - the politicians determine what can be called organic and what can't.  Usually it just means certain fertilizers and pesticides were or weren't used, which doesn't affect the taste or nutritional value.  Sometimes something gets that designation due to having 'friends' in the legislature.  It often signals it was grown somewhere other than a factory farm, and given more individual care - and thus higher quality due to that.  It can be that it was farmed closer to the store, and was thus picked closer to when it would ripen.

I once had a garbage collection company as a client.  They take the green can of yard clippings, food waste, etc, compost it, then give it away or sell it as 'organic' soil.  Except everything that goes into the green can isn't 'organic'...

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
« Reply #1789 on: December 19, 2019, 06:21:49 AM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Which reminds me that I have to stop off at this place this weekend.

Spookcat

• Proud Cat Lady
  • Ellevated
  • I'm not an actual cat...or am I?!
« Reply #1790 on: December 19, 2019, 06:39:06 AM »

Which reminds me that I have to stop off at this place this weekend.

Murder floofs remind you of wine?
Time spent with cats is never wasted.

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
« Reply #1791 on: December 19, 2019, 06:49:13 AM »
Murder floofs remind you of wine?

sean92008

• Garage Band
  • Ellevated
  • Wondering if that was the end
    • Not me but an incredible stimulation
« Reply #1792 on: December 19, 2019, 07:19:42 AM »
I tried soy chorizo the other day. Mixed with rice and vegetables, it wasn't bad.

I love it.  Smart and Final puts that stuff on sale occasionally at $0.79 a package...  Yummo.

Problem with soy is that it messes up hormones or something.  I never dug too deep on researching it but I try to keep it in moderation for my kids.
Eh, nevermind...

sean92008

• Garage Band
  • Ellevated
  • Wondering if that was the end
    • Not me but an incredible stimulation
« Reply #1793 on: December 19, 2019, 07:29:04 AM »
By the way, I think I remember Bill Gates pitching GMOs as a way to grow food in places where people are starving. Not America!

If I recall correctly, the pitch was that these modified foods would grow in places that didn't have the best soil or climate.  Does anybody else remember that?

Eh, fuck GMOs. 

Hate to break it to some of you who love those impossible burgers but... I have heard that those things are chock-full of GMO ingredients.
Eh, nevermind...

TigerLily

• Evil Temptress
  • Ellevated
  • Founder Art's Tarts and Legacy Bart's Bitchen Babe
« Reply #1794 on: December 19, 2019, 08:34:31 AM »
I love it.  Smart and Final puts that stuff on sale occasionally at $0.79 a package...  Yummo.

Problem with soy is that it messes up hormones or something.  I never dug too deep on researching it but I try to keep it in moderation for my kids.

Soy has estrogen. Don't know how much. But M.D.s tell women with a particular gene that can trigger breast cancer to avoid soy. I know a manly man that puts soy milk in his daily cereal. No man boobs but he cries at mushy movies
A summer queen is not born, she is made through adversity and strength - Elizabeth Chadwick

TigerLily

• Evil Temptress
  • Ellevated
« Reply #1795 on: December 19, 2019, 08:42:53 AM »

Well, that is extremely disturbing. I probably won't watch it. The trailer gave me PTSD. On the Net or IRL, words to live by: Don't F*ck with Cats 😾. Merry Fucking Christmas, Bart
A summer queen is not born, she is made through adversity and strength - Elizabeth Chadwick

TigerLily

• Evil Temptress
  • Ellevated
« Reply #1796 on: December 19, 2019, 08:56:58 AM »
It's not always about organic vs gmo. 

Some fruits & vegetables continue to ripen, or ripen well after being picked, some don't.  Things have to be picked before being fully ripe, as it takes time to be packed and go from the farm to the store.

Tomatoes are one of the ones that stop ripening after being picked.  Oh sure, they get red, but they are still unripe 'green' tomatoes. 

Peaches, apricots, etc are wonderful when picked ripe and eaten right off the tree.  They are so awful at the store I don't even know who would buy them.  Certain apples are fantastic fresh off the tree (such as golden and red delicious), but an entirely different set are the ones that ripen in boxes and travel better (such as fuji and honey crisp).

Yeah. The more I eat good old fashioned pre-GMO food the weirder I get about foods. Local farmers markets are great. Often you are talking to the grower and they are proud to tell you about how they grow their food

There are requirements to be certified Organic. Yes. All our federal regulations concerning anything healthy are disappearing quickly but a lot of other states and organizations are carrying the torch because consumers are becoming more aware and demanding it

TigerLily

• Evil Temptress
  • Ellevated
« Reply #1797 on: December 19, 2019, 09:15:09 AM »
By the way, I think I remember Bill Gates pitching GMOs as a way to grow food in places where people are starving. Not America!

If I recall correctly, the pitch was that these modified foods would grow in places that didn't have the best soil or climate.  Does anybody else remember that?

Eh, fuck GMOs. 

Hate to break it to some of you who love those impossible burgers but... I have heard that those things are chock-full of GMO ingredients.

Yep on the Bill Gates thing. A worthy gesture turns into Frankenstein. Drought-tolerant, high-yield grains. Mainly wheat and rice. I read about it quite a while back so don't remember all the details. But deals are made with third world farmers to use a particular GMO strain. Then they are locked in to buying only that seed and all their products for pesticides. Guess which companies are behind this

I know many of you sneer at anything Cali for some reason. But a few years back we passed the Poultry Law and last year passed one for pigs and calves. I feel much more relaxed now grocery shopping knowing my eggs and meats are from California

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #1798 on: December 19, 2019, 09:27:22 AM »

Yep on the Bill Gates thing. A worthy gesture turns into Frankenstein. Drought-tolerant, high-yield grains. Mainly wheat and rice. I read about it quite a while back so don't remember all the details. But deals are made with third world farmers to use a particular GMO strain. Then they are locked in to buying only that seed and all their products for pesticides. Guess which companies are behind this

I know many of you sneer at anything Cali for some reason. But a few years back we passed the Poultry Law and last year passed one for pigs and calves. I feel much more relaxed now grocery shopping knowing my eggs and meats are from California

Monsanto and their business model are really evil.  Something like 300,000 farmers in India have committed suicide in the last 20-25 years and many of them were broken by the business model of bt Cotton seed which cost twice as much and required them to sell their crop back at lower than market rates. 

Quite sad.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farmers'_suicides_in_India

p.s. gasoline just dropped to $1.97 down the road from me. What is it in California this week?
Are we having fun yet?

TigerLily

• Evil Temptress
  • Ellevated
« Reply #1799 on: December 19, 2019, 09:39:45 AM »
Monsanto and their business model are really evil.  Something like 300,000 farmers in India have committed suicide in the last 20-25 years and many of them were broken by the business model of bt Cotton seed which cost twice as much and required them to sell their crop back at lower than market rates. 

Quite sad.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farmers'_suicides_in_India

p.s. gasoline just dropped to $1.97 down the road from me. What is it in California this week?

Have noticed lately. I drive a Prius. I only gas up once a month