Author Topic: Midnight in the Diner: Tales from the Road  (Read 148085 times)

WeinerInHand

• Elluminati
  • Here, hold this...
Re: Midnight in the Diner: Tales from the Road
« Reply #270 on: July 18, 2018, 07:57:52 PM »
I can't find now but some years ago I bought a CD of German trucker songs.  Simply becauae amazed existed. At the time,  or some years prior, the trucker craze hit Germany. So CB style songs etc and they already liked Westerns etc. Weird stuff. Like kraut Red Sovine. Interesting Euros were big on American stuff like jazz, blue grass, C&W and made good recordings.

America leads the way!
I've seen videos of the way they drive in other countries and, besides a few, I just don't think they have the area to live the life of an American trucker. It seems more work like and not as free roaming as the opportunity that I have.

WeinerInHand

• Elluminati
  • Here, hold this...
« Reply #271 on: July 18, 2018, 08:01:13 PM »
I agree! I just listened to all the files and all the pictures and can't wait to hear and see more :)

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SpookCat! I'm glad that you enjoyed them.  ☺ 
If you've had a good meal lately, or an interesting travel tale - share it here!

WeinerInHand

• Elluminati
  • Here, hold this...
« Reply #272 on: July 18, 2018, 08:08:52 PM »
Hahaha - somebody just smote me - thanks for listening!

Spookcat

• Proud Cat Lady
  • Ellevated
  • I'm not an actual cat...or am I?!
« Reply #273 on: July 18, 2018, 08:13:05 PM »
Thank you SpookCat! I'm glad that you enjoyed them.  ☺ 
If you've had a good meal lately, or an interesting travel tale - share it here!

Past two years I've been stationary in Japan. It's not bad, but I miss the Midwest from time to time. There was a good diner in Northwest Missouri where I tried my first fried cat fish. I was a really good diner, but they closed sometime in the last few years :(
If you're ever in the Iowa City area, they have a place called Hamburg Inn #2 that's good and popular. Just don't go around election times, because a lot of politicians go there for their whole "I'm just like you!" stuff.
Their Bumbleberry pie was a favorite of mine.

http://www.hamburginn2.com/

EDIT Also, football home game days. Those are terrible in Iowa City....
Time spent with cats is never wasted.

FlarpsWife

• KDWN
« Reply #274 on: July 18, 2018, 08:13:58 PM »
Those jalapeno poppers are easy by the way. Box of cream cheese, bag of shredded cheddar and the rest is up to you. Garlic, hell, leftover bbq meat, veggies. Then shove it all into a fresh jalapeno half and either wrap it in bacon and bake it or dip it in flour, egg, panko, and fry it. GOOD EATS.

WeinerInHand

• Elluminati
  • Here, hold this...
« Reply #275 on: July 18, 2018, 08:18:03 PM »
Past two years I've been stationary in Japan. It's not bad, but I miss the Midwest from time to time. There was a good diner in Northwest Missouri where I tried my first fried cat fish. I was a really good diner, but they closed sometime in the last few years :(
If you're ever in the Iowa City area, they have a place called Hamburg Inn #2 that's good and popular. Just don't go around election times, because a lot of politicians go there for their whole "I'm just like you!" stuff.

Missouri is great! Cheap smokes and big slabs of beef. There is a pie place that boasts a one foot tall pie and I've always said that one day I am going to stop.
How does Japan do American food? Is there an Asian spin?

WeinerInHand

• Elluminati
  • Here, hold this...
« Reply #276 on: July 18, 2018, 08:19:29 PM »
Those jalapeno poppers are easy by the way. Box of cream cheese, bag of shredded cheddar and the rest is up to you. Garlic, hell, leftover bbq meat, veggies. Then shove it all into a fresh jalapeno half and either wrap it in bacon and bake it or dip it in flour, egg, panko, and fry it. GOOD EATS.

Now my fat ass is getting hungry! 😄

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #277 on: July 18, 2018, 08:20:03 PM »
What is the view of OTR truckers on RVs? I still sorta amazed that normal license can drive them, even with trailer. Buddy has a nice one n hauls his toys whereever. He is a good driver but still. Simply due to not reticulated or not hauling weight it is legal? Length alone though? Weird laws or lobby? And bus sized but I think you need commercial for a bus (but only if charging, running a business.)

FlarpsWife

• KDWN
« Reply #278 on: July 18, 2018, 08:20:38 PM »
Hahaha - somebody just smote me - thanks for listening!
I know I've been getting smote all day also. I STILL HAVE EVELYN PAGLINI'S OILS ASSHOLES! ;D

FlarpsWife

• KDWN
« Reply #279 on: July 18, 2018, 08:22:06 PM »

EDIT Also, football home game days. Those are terrible in Iowa City....
Spookcat did you ever call into Art's show from Japan? That's the only caller besides JC I ever remember on his show. lol

WeinerInHand

• Elluminati
  • Here, hold this...
« Reply #280 on: July 18, 2018, 08:23:40 PM »
What is the view of OTR truckers on RVs? I still sorta amazed that normal license can drive them, even with trailer. Buddy has a nice one n hauls his toys whereever. He is a good driver but still. Simply due to not reticulated or not hauling weight it is legal? Length alone though? Weird laws or lobby? And bus sized but I think you need commercial for a bus (but only if charging, running a business.)

You've hit the nail on the head.
They should be regulated -- not overly so but there needs to be some training.
Just today I had one come into my lane when they were passing me.

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #281 on: July 18, 2018, 08:24:28 PM »

Dove hunting we'd make a version of those on grill after kill with meat. Perfect size cause small birds. We'd leave all seeds in at least one fresh  jap and laugh who got it!

Spookcat

• Proud Cat Lady
  • Ellevated
« Reply #282 on: July 18, 2018, 08:24:54 PM »
Missouri is great! Cheap smokes and big slabs of beef. There is a pie place that boasts a one foot tall pie and I've always said that one day I am going to stop.
How does Japan do American food? Is there an Asian spin?

The portions are much smaller. Large drink sizes are an American medium at most. They also don't salt their fries enough or usually have enough black pepper on their food. Mayonnaise is the main condiment here.  Pizzas main topping is cheese, corn and mayo. And there's usually a soft boiled egg on the food somewhere. on  burgers, pastas, vegetables... Fish also have faces still and scales. That part freaked me out the most.

WeinerInHand

• Elluminati
  • Here, hold this...
« Reply #283 on: July 18, 2018, 08:25:20 PM »
I know I've been getting smote all day also. I STILL HAVE EVELYN PAGLINI'S OILS ASSHOLES! ;D

It's not a dislike of posts as much as a jealousy of attention, me thinks...

Spookcat

• Proud Cat Lady
  • Ellevated
« Reply #284 on: July 18, 2018, 08:25:48 PM »
Spookcat did you ever call into Art's show from Japan? That's the only caller besides JC I ever remember on his show. lol

Nope, wasn't me. He left the show before Mr. Spook and I moved here.