Author Topic: Celebrity Deaths  (Read 379709 times)

TigerLily

• Evil Temptress
  • Ellevated
  • Founder Art's Tarts and Legacy Bart's Bitchen Babe
Re: Celebrity Deaths
« Reply #3690 on: May 24, 2024, 01:33:30 PM »
Morgan Spurlock. A very flawed hero. Documentariarian. He did the documentary "Supersize Me" and and an unforgettable series, "Thirty days"

Morgan Spurlock, Documentarian Known for ‘Super Size Me,’ Dies at 53

His 2004 film followed Mr. Spurlock as he ate nothing but McDonald’s for a month. It was nominated for an Oscar, but it later came in for criticism...The film, which debuted at the Sundance Film Festival, grossed over $22 million, made Mr. Spurlock a household name, earned him an Academy Award nomination for best documentary and helped spur a sweeping backlash against the fast-food industry — though only temporarily; .

...And he continued to make projects that leaned on the participatory style of “Super Size Me.” He created and starred in a series called “30 Days” for FX, in which a person, often Mr. Spurlock himself, would spend about a month embedded in a community much different from his own. One episode saw him spend 25 days in a Virginia
jail.

I watched "Supersize Me" and a few of the episodes of "Thirty Days". And they have really stuck with me through the years. Highly recommend you check them out

A movie about his life would probably be pretty interesting too
A summer queen is not born, she is made through adversity and strength - Elizabeth Chadwick

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #3691 on: May 24, 2024, 01:46:00 PM »
Morgan Spurlock. A very flawed hero. Documentariarian. He did the documentary "Supersize Me" and and an unforgettable series, "Thirty days"

Morgan Spurlock, Documentarian Known for ‘Super Size Me,’ Dies at 53

His 2004 film followed Mr. Spurlock as he ate nothing but McDonald’s for a month. It was nominated for an Oscar, but it later came in for criticism...The film, which debuted at the Sundance Film Festival, grossed over $22 million, made Mr. Spurlock a household name, earned him an Academy Award nomination for best documentary and helped spur a sweeping backlash against the fast-food industry — though only temporarily; .

...And he continued to make projects that leaned on the participatory style of “Super Size Me.” He created and starred in a series called “30 Days” for FX, in which a person, often Mr. Spurlock himself, would spend about a month embedded in a community much different from his own. One episode saw him spend 25 days in a Virginia
jail.

I watched "Supersize Me" and a few of the episodes of "Thirty Days". And they have really stuck with me through the years. Highly recommend you check them out

A movie about his life would probably be pretty interesting too

Oh my goodness. He died? At such a tender age? Supersize Me was great! Watched it twice. I have it in digital format on a external hard drive that is also the source provider for my PLEX MEDIA SERVER! Meaning anyone with a PLEX account (free, just an email and password) can access my ENTIRE MOVIE CATELOGUE TO ENJOY AT THEIR LESIERE!!!

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Ruall Omer Cole
« Reply #3692 on: May 25, 2024, 02:40:54 AM »
Actor Darryl Hickman has passed away at the age of 92.  He started out as a child actor but continued on into his adulthood.  Perhaps his greatest role was playing Vincent Price's assistant in the classic movie The Tingler. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tingler)  As if that wasn't enough, he was the real life older brother of actor Dwayne Hickman who played the one and only Dobie Gillis in The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Many_Loves_of_Dobie_Gillis)  RIP Darryl. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darryl_Hickman)

sean92008

• Garage Band
  • Ellevated
  • Wondering if that was the end
    • Not me but an incredible stimulation
« Reply #3693 on: May 25, 2024, 12:54:54 PM »
Eh, nevermind...

JUAN

• Ellevated
Merry Christmas

sean92008

• Garage Band
  • Ellevated
« Reply #3695 on: May 26, 2024, 08:42:18 AM »
Doug Ingle - 78. Iron Butterfly.
https://variety.com/2024/music/obituaries-people-news/doug-ingle-dead-iron-butterfly-singer-in-a-gadda-da-vida-1236016627/

Aww. I spoke to him once back in the late 1980s. I was at a public utility company and when he said his name, I immediately said "from Iron Butterfly?" He acted as if nobody knew what that was. In following up with the investigation regarding somebody messing with their electrical service, His son (presumably Doug Jr.) or whoever it was said that his dad said hi, apparently still in shock shock that I remembered him. For some reason, I'm thinking it was his parents House or maybe it was vacant and the bills were astronomical

They made their debut at a club that I believe was on Fletcher Parkway in El Cajon. A club owned by Jerry Herrera who later owned a club in San Diego called The Spirit. Jerry broke a lot of bands in his places. Anthony and Cleopatra I think was the early name of Sonny and Cher, I believe the last big bands he broke were groups like INXS, blink-182, I think Jewel might've played his place. At the spirit, he had a weekly advertisement and it was a goal of every band to be mentioned in his column.

Wow. Flood of memories again. Sorry to be so indulgent.

Eh, nevermind...

sean92008

• Garage Band
  • Ellevated
« Reply #3696 on: May 26, 2024, 05:32:43 PM »
Contemporary actor, not some old fogey from 50 years ago, murdered in Los Angeles. Johnny Wactor.

https://ktla.com/news/local-news/johnny-wactor-of-general-hospital-shot-and-killed-in-downtown-los-angeles-report/?nxsparam=1&nxstory_autoturn=1
Eh, nevermind...

Morgus

• Elluminati
« Reply #3697 on: May 27, 2024, 02:21:45 PM »

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #3698 on: May 27, 2024, 02:26:02 PM »
Bill Walton, legendary NBA player and broadcaster, dead at 71
https://nypost.com/2024/05/27/sports/bill-walton-legendary-nba-player-and-broadcaster-dead-at-71/

So long Big Red.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

sean92008

• Garage Band
  • Ellevated
« Reply #3699 on: May 27, 2024, 02:50:47 PM »
So long Big Red.

Wow. He's been active publicly in recent weeks because of the homeless problem in a park near the San Diego Zoo where he biked. I thought of it as kind of funny considering he was such a hard liberal that he was complaining about homeless people who are strictly there because of certain policies in California.

I have gone to one pro basketball game. I was net side for a San Diego Clippers game where Bill Walton played. (it had to be before 1985, because he was on the clippers at the time.)
Eh, nevermind...

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #3700 on: May 27, 2024, 05:15:22 PM »
Wow. He's been active publicly in recent weeks because of the homeless problem in a park near the San Diego Zoo where he biked. I thought of it as kind of funny considering he was such a hard liberal that he was complaining about homeless people who are strictly there because of certain policies in California.

I have gone to one pro basketball game. I was net side for a San Diego Clippers game where Bill Walton played. (it had to be before 1985, because he was on the clippers at the time.)

I was pretty shocked to hear about this this morning.  All-time fav NBA player.

sean92008

• Garage Band
  • Ellevated
« Reply #3701 on: June 07, 2024, 11:56:15 PM »
The Apollo eight astronaut who took that famous photo of earth in the background of the moonscape.

There's actual video of him crashing the plane. William Anders

Eh, nevermind...

sean92008

• Garage Band
  • Ellevated
« Reply #3702 on: June 08, 2024, 12:59:21 AM »
Eh, nevermind...

Up All Night

• Ellevated
  • N. Texas
    • Stroll Down Memory Lane
« Reply #3703 on: June 10, 2024, 01:27:59 PM »
The Apollo eight astronaut who took that famous photo of earth in the background of the moonscape.

There's actual video of him crashing the plane. William Anders

sean92008

• Garage Band
  • Ellevated
Eh, nevermind...