Author Topic: The Kingdom of Nyet with Heather Wade  (Read 13127300 times)

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
Re: The Kingdom of Drama without Heather Wade
« Reply #57060 on: November 29, 2018, 07:57:49 PM »
Ok, this is going to show my age.

I saw him when he was Bette Midler's pianist and arranger first at the Continental Baths in Manhattan, where she got her start, and then in her first concert at the Palace Theater in Times Square, where she gave him 3 songs to open the second half of the show. That was where he introduced "Could It Be The Magic" or whatever the title is...

Sigh. He was pretty good back then... and still in the closet despite having performed at the Baths, a very gay club that welcomed heterosexual patrons.

This is going back some!

The Air Force had/has an annual industry conference called STC which was normally in Salt Lake City. About 10 years ago they started hosting it in other cities. I think it was at the Hilton in Vegas the last year I went. The ticket was included as part of the conference registration. I decided to invite a lady friend of mine to come out and join me for the concert. I should have just given her my ticket. I can’t believe I spent $120 for a second ticket to see that narcissistic gas bag sing to/with himself as he projected his own image from past performances on the screen. She was not impressed with my choice of a show to invite her to.
Are we having fun yet?

Bluejay

• Gif Ninja
  • Ellevated
  • West of the Rockies
« Reply #57061 on: November 29, 2018, 07:58:20 PM »
Good evening all! How is everyone doing tonight?
Swell! Great!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

pawpourri

• Drone Pilot
  • Throws of chaos
« Reply #57062 on: November 29, 2018, 07:58:35 PM »

Fine as frog's hair, good sir!  And yourself?

PolkaDot

• Sass Machine
  • Ellevated
  • Please forgive me, I was raised by wolves.
« Reply #57063 on: November 29, 2018, 07:59:45 PM »
Wow, thanks for asking!

Ironically, PD, I was just about wrapping up my time teaching at a university at that time. I loved the teaching but hated the committee work and stupid politics. You think our politics are vicious? You ain't seen nuthin' till you've seen a bunch of ivory tower professors duking it out... really thorny. I just don't have the taste for it and resigned right before I was about to be given tenure. I thought if I stayed with tenure I'd probably never quit and would turn into another boring old professor stuck in one area... and I preferred to branch out on my own.

I've since taught as an adjunct for fun at a university in NYC, but that's really only because I like it, and they're intensive courses, like a whole weekend and a follow-up day a week later.

What it did teach me, which was very important to me at that time in my life, was that I had what it took to stick it out, stay determined, and make it work no matter what, which has served me well for the rest of my life so far.

When I had the Crohn's when I was younger, and a follow-up surgery to fix the scar a few years later, the one thing I was told (wrongly, thank goodness, as it turned out) was that stress could kill me, that I was very delicate, and should always be very careful and baby myself if I wanted to stay healthy at all. I had already put myself on a self-healing alternative medicine program and slowly rebuilt my health prior to starting the degree, and to my great relief I found out I was made of the stuff I had always hoped I was.  Don't like to have to do that, but I can if I need to.  ;D
Excellent! I'm glad to hear it.  :)
There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
Right in the middle of her forehead.
            When she was good,
            She was very good indeed,
But when she was bad she was horrid.

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
« Reply #57064 on: November 29, 2018, 08:00:34 PM »
Oh, the excitement! I just noticed this is my 3800th post, which means that sometime tonight I will likely have the same number of posts as the page I'm on. Perhaps I should play that number tomorrow? Eh? :D

They will laugh at you at bingo.

O-3803
Are we having fun yet?

PolkaDot

• Sass Machine
  • Ellevated
« Reply #57065 on: November 29, 2018, 08:01:13 PM »
Tired.
How about you?
There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
            When she was good,

Journey

• Ellevated
« Reply #57066 on: November 29, 2018, 08:08:32 PM »
Tater is doing bathtub videos again tonight

I guess rehab was a waste of time and he calls us all stupid. I don’t understand why he thinks anyone wants to see him drink in the tub? Why?  Makes no sense.

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #57067 on: November 29, 2018, 08:11:27 PM »

Fine. You?

Some people on Dave's thread are congratulating him about the tv show. Anyone know about it?

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
« Reply #57068 on: November 29, 2018, 08:12:18 PM »
Fine. You?

Some people on Dave's thread are congratulating him about the tv show. Anyone know about it?

Dave’s not here, man.
Are we having fun yet?

pawpourri

• Drone Pilot
  • Throws of chaos
« Reply #57069 on: November 29, 2018, 08:12:34 PM »
Blujay. Stop using my copyrighted pics.  You dont have the right. Stop now or u will heard from my informers

Yeah!

Thas toldin he, Einskrein.   ::)

Have another one.

Journey

• Ellevated
« Reply #57070 on: November 29, 2018, 08:14:00 PM »

Dyna-X

• Ellightened
« Reply #57071 on: November 29, 2018, 08:14:45 PM »
Here's a long answer, please feel free to skip/ignore if not interested!

Thanks for asking, Dyna!

Ah, it was a hornet's nest tbh. Knowing their bios didn't help, it was a revolving door for my committee members. I had no control over 4 of the 5 professors on the committee, and the one I was able to request bailed out at the last minute and was replaced by someone who had less than no knowledge on my topic but came from an associated department. As my topic was on the edge of the usual for my department, the four other faculty members were in disagreement with each other as to whether they even liked the topic or not. I found this out at my actual defense, not fun.

My first advisor who strongly encouraged me and approved the topic was the head of the department and brilliant. She worked with me for just under a year and then suddenly took a year-long sabbatical. My second advisor was not an expert in my area but knew me well and liked me. He had me re-cast and rewrite about 1/2 or a bit more of what I had already finished to suit his take on things. He took ill towards the end of that year and suddenly took a year-long sabbatical. My third advisor didn't know me well, wasn't really deeply informed about my area, but was supportive and got very involved with my work. She had me totally re-cast and rewrite over 1/2 of what I had already finished and rewritten to more closely reflect her take.  :P

I prefer not to say the topic or area, but it is one where there are some hard facts and some theories and some evidence, and some inconclusive but sound speculations, which allowed for advisors to have different perspectives on the same material. I found out that getting approved was as much about making my material suit the advisor's views as my own, thus the intense politics.

The only way I got through it was to go and privately hire a professor of academic writing at another major university (a competitor to my university) who coached me in insane detail, line by line, in weekly sessions on how to write my dissertation so it would get through. Mind you, this is not necessarily about clear and informative writing, it's about being academic enough to be "official."  ::)

The dissertation defense, a two-hour oral defense and grilling by the five faculty members, went mostly ok, with them spending a good chunk of time arguing with each other over their differing philosophical perspectives on things. They seemed to deal with my answers to their challenges to my work fairly well, until faculty member #5, the last minute fill-in, started trashing my topic entirely, and gave me a very hard time based on his ignorance and biased opinions. Mostly he chastised me for not agreeing with him, didn't really ask me much about how I could explain or justify my work.

Finally my advisor stepped in and said she had heard enough and we should conclude. I think in their private voting discussion she squashed most of his objections pretty well. It had to be a unanimous vote, but he demanded such major and inaccurate changes and revisions to my text in order to approve it that, with my advisors, approval, I had to go to the Dean and plead my case. The Dean spent about 15 minutes listening to me, read my advisor's letter, thumbed through my dissertation (about 300 pages iirc.), looked at the list of demands the non-topic faculty member was insisting on, looked at me and said "Do not ever repeat this or I will deny it, but he is an idiot..." and approved the dissertation on the spot.

And that was how I finally graduated with all the hair on my head still intact... but barely. <g>

Whew!  8)

[edited to add a phrase in bold for clarity]

I would always read what you have to say, Aquarius. This is actually pretty interesting and a story I will not forget if I go back into academia :) Thank you very much for telling the tale :) Saved by the Dean.

PolkaDot

• Sass Machine
  • Ellevated
« Reply #57072 on: November 29, 2018, 08:14:48 PM »
Fine. You?

I think they're just stirring shit.
There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
            When she was good,

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #57073 on: November 29, 2018, 08:18:54 PM »
Here's a long answer, please feel free to skip/ignore if not interested!

Thanks for asking, Dyna!

Whew!  8)

[edited to add a phrase in bold for clarity]

Sorry if I missed it, how long did this take?

Journey

• Ellevated
« Reply #57074 on: November 29, 2018, 08:20:45 PM »
Blujay. Stop using my copyrighted pics.  You dont have the right. Stop now or u will heard from my informers

Oh boy have another beer, maybe you will start making sense