Author Topic: The 100 Years Ago Thread  (Read 1555086 times)

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
  • The owls are not what they seem
Re: The 100 Years Ago Thread
« Reply #3450 on: November 06, 2019, 02:48:10 PM »
@FISH !!!!! I AM shocked!

But also, curious....
:-[

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #3451 on: November 06, 2019, 04:28:46 PM »
:-[

Oh goodie, I am not too late. I fell behind somehow. ;)

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #3452 on: November 06, 2019, 04:32:43 PM »
                   From the Library of Congress, 1919.

What Will Mrs. Thompson Say?

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My suggestion is that she let him know that she doesn't prefer to hear cursing, explaining as FISH did that it is a matter of respect for a woman. Hope it is ok for me to agree/borrow a bit of what you wrote, dear FISH.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Ruall Omer Cole
« Reply #3453 on: November 06, 2019, 04:52:17 PM »
@TigerLily ,I love the B52's. A few years ago, I saw them in concert. It was great fun.
Now back to the candy question. I wonder if Mrs Thompson eats @Rikki Gins 's candy.  :-X

@FISH: I eat Mrs. Thompson's candy.  Specifically, at the Strand movie palace.  You see, if the picture isn't any good I tend to get, shall we say, a bit grabby.  Elizabeth fends me off by handing me a bag of black jellybeans.  I will greedily eat ten or so of the jellybeans and the sugar effectively puts me to sleep, so that Mrs. T. can watch the movie unencumbered.  It never fails, the bag will tip upside down and the rest of the jellybeans will roll down the sloped floor.  When I wake up, I show Mrs. Thompson the empty bag and accuse her of eating all of the jellybeans.  She just looks at me and laughs.       

Mr Apnea

• Ellevated
« Reply #3454 on: November 06, 2019, 06:10:15 PM »
Oh goodie, I am not too late. I fell behind somehow. ;)
What did you do with Bob's?  Oh my

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
« Reply #3455 on: November 06, 2019, 07:12:30 PM »
My suggestion is that she let him know that she doesn't prefer to hear cursing, explaining as FISH did that it is a matter of respect for a woman. Hope it is ok for me to agree/borrow a bit of what you wrote, dear FISH.
@anniem , we often agree with each other. And I like it. Where is @Bobs Your Uncle ? I hope Bob has not gone into a black jellybean coma.

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
« Reply #3456 on: November 06, 2019, 07:20:51 PM »
@FISH: I eat Mrs. Thompson's candy.  Specifically, at the Strand movie palace.  You see, if the picture isn't any good I tend to get, shall we say, a bit grabby.  Elizabeth fends me off by handing me a bag of black jellybeans.  I will greedily eat ten or so of the jellybeans and the sugar effectively puts me to sleep, so that Mrs. T. can watch the movie unencumbered.  It never fails, the bag will tip upside down and the rest of the jellybeans will roll down the sloped floor.  When I wake up, I show Mrs. Thompson the empty bag and accuse her of eating all of the jellybeans.  She just looks at me and laughs.     
WOW, I can picture it. You sleeping and black jelly beans rolling down the sloped floor. I hope the clean up crew in the Strand movie palace do not refer to you as JELLY BEAN.
@Rikki Gins back in the 1910s and 1920s, if you referred to a man as a jelly bean, you were calling him a dandy, a ladies man, or a gigolo.  :o

PolkaDot

• Sass Machine
  • Ellevated
  • Please forgive me, I was raised by wolves.
« Reply #3457 on: November 06, 2019, 07:22:42 PM »
WOW, I can picture it. You sleeping and black jelly beans rolling down the sloped floor. I hope the clean up crew in the Strand movie palace do not refer to you as JELLY BEAN.
Back in the 1910s and 1920s, if you referred to a man as a jelly bean, you were calling him a dandy, a ladies man, or a gigolo.  :o
Oh my! Surely not OUR Rikki?
There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
Right in the middle of her forehead.
            When she was good,
            She was very good indeed,
But when she was bad she was horrid.

Aquarius

• Ellevated
  • Why? Why not?
« Reply #3458 on: November 06, 2019, 09:52:49 PM »
@anniem , we often agree with each other. And I like it. Where is @Bobs Your Uncle ? I hope Bob has not gone into a black jellybean coma.

I think Bobs Your Uncle is taking a wee break from EG for a while, he hasn't posted lately. I hope he will be back soon.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." -- Chinese proverb

Aquarius

• Ellevated
  • Why? Why not?
« Reply #3459 on: November 06, 2019, 09:55:39 PM »

You should thank the other boy for his opinion but tell hiim you can make up your own mind, and please don't gossip.

You should tell your boyfriend not to curse in front of you, it demeans him and makes him seem less polished and not as high-quality a person as you see him to be (that should get him, appeal to his ego, but tell the truth). Cursing is uncouth and also makes him seem less articulate.

Good luck getting him to stop, though. If he won't stop, you may need to consider not seeing him any more.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." -- Chinese proverb

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Ruall Omer Cole
« Reply #3460 on: November 06, 2019, 10:49:26 PM »
Thank you @juan, @anniem, @Mr Apnea, @TigerLily, @PolkaDot, @FISH and @Aquarius, for playing the What Will Mrs. Thompson Say? game.

1. Ask Mom about her opinion of the boy.
2. Brown Eyes herself can help him get over the swearing habit.
3. The boy should control his swearing if he wants to remain Brown Eye's friend.
4. (Mrs. Thompson didn't comment on the other kid.)

juan: 2 points
FISH: 2 points
anniem: 2 points
Aquarius: 2 points
Mr Apnea: 1 point
PolkaDot: 1 point
TigerLily: 1 point

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Ruall Omer Cole
« Reply #3461 on: November 07, 2019, 01:20:28 AM »
From the Library of Congress.  The Richmond Palladium and Sun-Telegram, November 07, 1919.   

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Ruall Omer Cole
« Reply #3462 on: November 07, 2019, 01:39:20 AM »

Another letter from You-Know-Who:

I'm tired of waiting for Friday to get here, so let's make it Double Points Thursday. 

Mr Apnea

• Ellevated
« Reply #3463 on: November 07, 2019, 02:33:26 AM »
There must be a shortage of blue eyes in 1919.

They will leave you alone if you don't talk.  Just stare at them with your big brown eyes. Alternatively, you can scare them with God talk. 

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #3464 on: November 07, 2019, 05:04:06 AM »

Another letter from You-Know-Who:

I'm tired of waiting for Friday to get here, so let's make it Double Points Thursday.

Let them know you don't want to spend time gossiping and have some topics of conversation ready, and you can steer the conversation in another direction the moment gossiping begins. See if you can change their habit.