Author Topic: The 100 Years Ago Thread  (Read 1555051 times)

TigerLily

• Evil Temptress
  • Ellevated
  • Founder Art's Tarts and Legacy Bart's Bitchen Babe
Re: The 100 Years Ago Thread
« Reply #3465 on: November 07, 2019, 05:58:33 AM »
From the Library of Congress.  The Richmond Palladium and Sun-Telegram, November 07, 1919.   

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

That's right. 1918/1919 were the years of the Spanish flu

"... it was first identified in military personnel in spring 1918. It is estimated that about 500 million people or one-third of the world’s population became infected with this virus. The number of deaths was estimated to be at least 50 million worldwide with about 675,000 occurring in the United States. ...  "
 "...Mortality was high in people younger than 5 years old, 20-40 years old, and 65 years and older. The high mortality in healthy people, including those in the 20-40 year age group, was a unique feature of this pandemic. "

Hitting younger adults was like the influenza outbreak of a few years ago. That one literally nearly killed me

I love that a bumper crop of berries made the news 😺
A summer queen is not born, she is made through adversity and strength - Elizabeth Chadwick

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #3466 on: November 07, 2019, 06:11:27 AM »
Oh my! Surely not OUR Rikki?
@PolkaDot so we wait for OUR Rikki to deny being a a dandy, a ladies man, or a gigolo.

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
« Reply #3467 on: November 07, 2019, 06:22:53 AM »
That's right. 1918/1919 were the years of the Spanish flu

"... it was first identified in military personnel in spring 1918. It is estimated that about 500 million people or one-third of the world’s population became infected with this virus. The number of deaths was estimated to be at least 50 million worldwide with about 675,000 occurring in the United States. ...  "
 "...Mortality was high in people younger than 5 years old, 20-40 years old, and 65 years and older. The high mortality in healthy people, including those in the 20-40 year age group, was a unique feature of this pandemic. "

Hitting younger adults was like the influenza outbreak of a few years ago. That one literally nearly killed me

@TigerLily so happy that you survived the flu. I get the flu shot every year. The flu is no joke.
Back to 100 years ago.--Turning the pages of newspapers back to the editions of 1919 reveals that Spanish flu, Consumption (tuberculosis) and returning war veterans were some of the major health concerns I00 years ago. Thank Goodness for the berries.

TigerLily

• Evil Temptress
  • Ellevated
« Reply #3468 on: November 07, 2019, 06:23:45 AM »

From the Library of Congress, 1919.

What Will Mrs. Thompson Say?

Another letter from You-Know-Who:

I'm tired of waiting for Friday to get here, so let's make it Double Points Thursday.

Oooh. This is a good one. And one of my pet peeves! Of course, now we have forums and anti-social media to turbo-charge gossip. At least back in the day they had to come to your house to spread it around.

I imagine back then it was bad form to bluntly tell them you don't appreciate gossip. So next best thing is to meet gossip with stony silence, draw a disapproving face and quickly change the subject. Brown Eyes is already on the right track and should continue to shun the gossips by not returning their visit

Yes. Why doesn't anyone have blue eyes? Time for another musical interlude

A summer queen is not born, she is made through adversity and strength - Elizabeth Chadwick

TigerLily

• Evil Temptress
  • Ellevated
« Reply #3469 on: November 07, 2019, 06:34:22 AM »
@TigerLily so happy that you survived the flu. I get the flu shot every year. The flu is no joke.
Back to 100 years ago.--Turning the pages of newspapers back to the editions of 1919 reveals that Spanish flu, Consumption (tuberculosis) and returning war veterans were some of the major health concerns I00 years ago. Thank Goodness for the berries.

Thank you FISH. I was pretty relieved too. Seriously. It was scary. I never did before but now I'm a believer and since then I have gotten the flu shot every year. Except not so far this year

PolkaDot

• Sass Machine
  • Ellevated
  • Please forgive me, I was raised by wolves.
« Reply #3470 on: November 07, 2019, 07:09:44 AM »
There must be a shortage of blue eyes in 1919.

They will leave you alone if you don't talk.  Just stare at them with your big brown eyes. Alternatively, you can scare them with God talk.
You should get extra points for this answer!
There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
Right in the middle of her forehead.
            When she was good,
            She was very good indeed,
But when she was bad she was horrid.

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
« Reply #3471 on: November 07, 2019, 08:33:20 AM »

I'm tired of waiting for Friday to get here, so let's make it Double Points Thursday.

Don't answer.
Eat lots of cabbage and beans and fart them out of your house.

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #3472 on: November 07, 2019, 09:27:24 AM »
Dear Brownie,
You are correct to object to gossip. To convince them to take their gossip away, don’t participate. If that doesn’t work, you might consider becoming a monomaniac on some topic. Growing vegetable marrows or the conspiracy to assassinate President Harding are always good choices for extended discussion.
Merry Christmas

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Ruall Omer Cole
« Reply #3473 on: November 07, 2019, 01:00:23 PM »
@PolkaDot so we wait for OUR Rikki to deny being a a dandy, a ladies man, or a gigolo.

@FISH & @PolkaDot.  Thank you.  I am happy to be 'Your Rikki.' 

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
« Reply #3474 on: November 07, 2019, 02:47:41 PM »
Don't answer.
Eat lots of cabbage and beans and fart them out of your house.
@Bart Ell STOP reading my mind.
I invented the "fart" Candlelit Cabin fragrance candle. If someone you dislike stops over to visit, you merely light up your special candle. I contacted the Yankee Candle Company about my idea. Guess what? They never wrote back to me.  :'(

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
« Reply #3475 on: November 07, 2019, 02:49:05 PM »
@FISH & @PolkaDot.  Thank you.  I am happy to be 'Your Rikki.'
Are you a Jelly Bean man? I am asking for Mrs. Thompson.

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
« Reply #3476 on: November 07, 2019, 03:04:30 PM »

BROWN EYES, yes gossiping neighbors are not fun. You may mention in a polite manner, that talking about others is something you would like to avoid.  Try not to be too preachy about it.  Continue to talk with your bad neighbors. Changing the subject may work. Ask them for a recipe. Ask them about their health. Ask them how is their illegitimate child is doing?
Most people do not like gossip. Remember-- the morning of June 10, 1692, started with a hanging in Salem MA. Bridget Bishop, a woman convicted of witchcraft — though it's more likely her only crimes were promiscuity (by Puritans' strict standards) and a tendency to GOSSIP.

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #3477 on: November 07, 2019, 05:18:29 PM »

Wow! Oh you had to feel horrible. How long did it last?
I've only had the flu one time in my life, I got it after a cross country flight. My work required us to get flu shots or wear a mask which I didn't like to do. Didn't like the flu shot either.

Me too

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #3478 on: November 07, 2019, 05:26:29 PM »
@Bart Ell STOP reading my mind.
I invented the "fart" Candlelit Cabin fragrance candle. If someone you dislike stops over to visit, you merely light up your special candle. I contacted the Yankee Candle Company about my idea. Guess what? They never wrote back to me.  :'(

It is a great idea. If they acknowledge you they might have to pay you royalties. I think you shouldn't expect to hear from them at all.

https://stinkycandlecompany.com/product/fart-candle/

Aquarius

• Ellevated
  • Why? Why not?
« Reply #3479 on: November 07, 2019, 07:50:13 PM »
From the Library of Congress.  The Richmond Palladium and Sun-Telegram, November 07, 1919.   

1. My paternal grandmother died young in that epidemic in 1918. My father was 3 years old when his Mom died. Sad, it was a terrible epidemic.

2. Did the ex-husband by clothes for the dog instead?

3. Good gardening!

4. Did the burglar put the cigars in the suitcase when he left?

These are my semi-provocative responses to the news of the day.  ;)
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." -- Chinese proverb